Chapter XIII - Fortune Favors The Bold, And We Are The Embodiment Of Fortune

It was a little after a week had passed since we had taken the special exam. I'm not going to lie, I'm still sad that a classmate had to be expelled. It was only thanks to Ayanokouji-kun that I'm able to get back on my own feet but still, I don't think I can ever let go of the fact that I was unable to save a classmate.

In any event, the weekend has passed and we're back to school days. This is where I'm going to- No, where I have to get our class back together. No matter what it takes.

I was in the bathroom, preparing for school as usual, and when I got my uniform in order, I lightly sprayed the same perfume I had purchased over the weekends. Even up until now, I can't stop thinking about Ayanokouji-kun and what happened a few days ago. 

But never mind that, that can all wait. For just right now, I have to make sure I get our class back as it was before. Just because I'm hyperconscious of him at the moment is no reason for us to lose after working so hard. So as much as it contradicts my earlier motivations, I'll have to avoid Ayanokouji-kun for the time being.

As I exited the dormitories, I made my way to the school. On the way there, I said greeted fellow students as I always do and arrived at my classroom.

It would've been more convenient for me to just go ahead and enter but there was a problem...

I didn't know whether or not Ayanokouji-kun had already arrived so instinctively, I hid behind a wall and peaked out a little bit. On the way to school, I didn't see him so there are two plausible answers. Either he's already inside or that he's going to be late. When I was in the middle of deciding my next course of action, Chiaki-san had approached me.

"Good morning, Honami-san," she greeted.

"H-huh? O-oh, good morning to you, Chiaki-san."

To Chiaki-san who saw me, it might've been confusing to her as I was hiding behind a wall but it was necessary. I became more conscious of Ayanokouji-kun and it's overwhelming me, it wont be good for me if I want to support my classmates from here on out. I've decided, I'll get my feelings sorted out later but first, I need to get our class back.

"What are you doing?" Chiaki-san asked.

"Oh, um, n-nothing."

"In that case, you wanna go inside together?"

"Ehe, sure.."

I wont get anywhere by just standing outside now, since Chiaki-san is here, I feel more positive about entering the classroom now. All that's left is that I have to avoid talking with Ayanokouji-kun until class is over. From there, I'll have to see what happens.

As I entered through the doors of the classroom, I didn't get the sanguine impression that I always get when enter. In fact, it's been like this for quite some time ever since the special exam ended. Though there was the occasional chatter, it was small and between only some students. There was no liveliness to be found here. I fully intend on fixing that.

I sat down at my everyday seat and patiently waited. When Chabashira-sensei arrived, she was as dispassionate as ever. Even before the special exam, I've noticed she's been like this since day one. I'm hoping somewhere along the lines she'll start caring for her class, I'm sure that'll improve morale somewhat.

Anyways, class continued on and Chabashira-sensei talked about various subjects and everyone had been well-behaved and listened quietly.

When it was done and over with, homeroom ended and new teachers entered the scene, teaching us other subjects. We neared lunch and by the time this class had ended, I left my seat but not to leave the classroom like others would've done, but to bet everything on this one move. I have to be successful in bringing everyone together right here and now. If we don't, then we're done for.