Chapter XXV - And Then There Were Two

Waking up, I felt somewhat constrained given everything that has happened so far. With Ichinose's absence dealt with, I should be feeling alleviated in a way however, I'm still far from it. This isn't the only problem Class-C will face this month and eventually, probably soon, Ryuuen will come to recognize my role during the special exams. Of course, if circumstances were different then I could've possibly avoided any confrontation with him to begin with but what's done is done.

Leaving my room, I left the dormitories and made my way to the school building. Going back to Ichinose's situation, whether she will show up or not is still yet to be seen. After her problems were solved, she should show up but then again, nothing is ever one hundred percent going to happen unless you see it happen yourself. In any case, the probability of Ichinose being absent again is one in a million, something unpredictable should've happened if that was the case.

Arriving at my classroom, everyone carried on with their daily discussions as usual, everything was nice and quiet. Horikita on the other hand, idly stared at me for a few seconds before returning to her book. As for me, I took my seat and looked out the window, thinking back to everything that's happened throughout my time at school. Even though I haven't fully lived out the 'high school life', I'm still grateful I've even made it this far, and now that I have, I intend on continue living this life for myself.

As I was thinking about such things, my troubles from earlier vanished as Ichinose walked in through the door. The first people to approach her were her group of friends as well as a few others. I didn't get the impression that she was bothered by anything but deep inside, I'm sure she's still in pain to a certain extent. The conversation we've had from yesterday must've made an impact on her mental state if anything else.

"It appears Ichinose-san returned," Horikita said, interrupting my train of thought.

"It would seem so."

Horikita was the first person to even have concerns about the Ichinose not coming to class, although she herself had predicted on what could've happened, she disregarded them as just that, predictions. Well, after seeing her come to school today anyways she started to disregard them.

"Given the circumstance, did you think she was ever in any trouble?" I asked.

"Would I be wrong in thinking so?"

I wouldn't really say wrong but rather, it's a bit over the top. Ever since special exam we took back on the island, Horikita started being more careful and having her guard raised. It's not as if she wasn't careful to begin with anyways.

"You're free to think that way if you so desire," I responded.

Ryuuen aside, Horikita is also careful of one other individual, someone in our Class-C. That person being Kushida. Only I happen to have discovered her identity though, it's no surprise that Horikita will become even more untrusting of the people in our class since she figures one of them could be the traitor back on the island. Speaking of Kushida, she hasn't done much as of late. Looking at her now, the only thing she has done up to this point was converse with her friends, not once has she bothered to look in my direction. I suppose she wants to avoid me at all costs after I found out her secret.

In any event, we left it at that and class started for the day. Chabashira-sensei gave her lecture as everyone patiently sat at their desk and listened. With our new promotion to Class-C, everyone was especially determined to work on their academics to keep that position. Why? Simply put, we proved that moving up from zero class points is indeed possible. On the first month alone, we've come to learn of the true nature of this school and with our rankings on that month, everyone has gave up hope. But now, with Class-C's successes, that hope has since been regained.