VOL 2 Chapter 14 The Red Moon

Horikita POV

I'm writing to Hikigaya-kun about what Ryuuen-kun just told us, he said he was on his way here, we might get some answers. There are two very big possibilities.

The first is that he saw through Hikigaya-kun's facade and wants to expose him, but if he had found out it wouldn't make sense since he didn't expect his defeat, but there's no telling what he might be up to.

The second is that they had a past together, this theory takes a lot of strength since Hikigaya-kun knows Ryuuen quite well, if they met before that just means that the feud is not over yet.

It only remains to wait what happens, unfortunately my composure was broken, still Ryuuen-kun hasn't bothered me, he just waits patiently for me to arrive.

The silence is overwhelming until I hear footsteps approaching, Ayanokouji-kun and I know who they belong to.

There we see him, approaching quietly.
He arrives next to the two of us and starts talking

Hikigaya: What do you want Horikita? Just because you're the class leader doesn't mean you can call me whenever you want.

He says that to keep up the facade, he's cautious in case they don't know he's the class leader, but his look tells me something else, it's absolute confusion.

Horikita: Ryuuen-kun wants to talk to you.

More and more questions pile up, so we must go to the root of them.

Hikigaya-kun turns to Ryuuen-kun, their gazes meet, I don't know what they're going to say.

Hikigaya: Who are you?

He said it directly, he doesn't know him, so he might have found out all our moves.

Ryuuen-kun looks at him in shock, but then breaks the surprise.

Ryuuen: Kukuku kujjajajakakajajajajajajajajjajajajajajajajjajajajajajjajajajjajajajjajjaajjajajajajajajajajajajajajajjajaajjajajajaja

With a laugh that I wouldn't be surprised if it woke everyone up, that reaction is out of my calculations, I look sideways at Ayanokouji-kun and he is with his always stoic look, Hikigaya-kun on the other hand is uncomfortable, I guess he is in the same situation as me.

When he finishes laughing he turns to Hikigaya-kun.

Ryuuen: I didn't expect you to recognize me, so I'm going to introduce myself.

huh? This guy has always spoken so formally or I'm imagining it.

Ryuuen-kun takes his hands out of his pockets and makes a 45 degree bow, he starts to speak in a respectful manner.

Ryuuen: My name was Ryuuen Kakeru, it's an honor to meet again, Hachiman-san.

Hachiman-san?

Am I seeing things?

Is this the same guy who was extorting and vulgarly provoking us?

Maybe I averted my eyes for a moment and a twin brother appeared and switched places with him.

Even Ayanokouji-kun's eyes widened a bit. But the funniest reaction is definitely that of Hikigaya-kun who opens his eyes wide and his mouth open, I would also make fun of his expression if not for the circumstances we are in.

Hikigaya -kun manages to pull himself together and answers him.

Hikigaya: What do you want with me?

Ryuuen: I just wanted to greet you for the moment, I never thought of meeting you here, it's an occasion to celebrate.

Hikigaya: I'm sorry, I definitely didn't meet you.

Ryuuen: Kukuku we met that's no doubt, the difference is that I remember it instead you don't.

Hikigaya -kun's frown indicates that he is searching inside his memories, but he still can't find with the solution.

Ryuuen: Maybe this will remind you of something, the red moon.

Hikigaya-kun freezes, it's the first time I see his tranquility completely broken.
Seconds later he regains it again.

Hikigaya: I see, so you were at that event, sorry I still can't place you.

Ryuuen: Never mind, I already told you, Hachiman-san, I didn't expect you to recognize me, but to be presented with the opportunity to stand in front of you and tell you my name is a great honor.

Those words of Ryuuen in normal cases would be full of sarcasm, instead I just feel that he says it with respect. It still seems like two different people to me.

As for Hikigaya-kun, that a simple sentence breaks his tranquility only leads me to think that event is something big from his past. I have to ask him about that.

I hadn't mentioned it before but Ishisaki and Albert, they had confused expressions during the whole time, well at least Ishisaki, because Albert doesn't change his expression. Ishisaki is the first to inquire.

Ishisaki: Ryuuen-san, who is this Hikigaya that you called him?

He asks curiously. At least he was useful in something, so I can determine his intentions.

Ryuuen: Idiot, it's Hikigaya-san to you. I think I already told you about him.

Ryuuen-kun seems to know him and holds him in high esteem, as he says this Ishisaki's complexion pales and Albert's face is set in utter surprise, it seems that he really has told them a lot.

Ishisaki: D-don't tell me, d-don't tell me what he is?

Albert: Unbelievable

Ishisaki stammers too much and Albert finally heard his voice.

Ryuuen: Yes, he's the legendary Phantom Asura.

Phantom Asura?

What kind of nickname is that? It sounds like it was made up by a delusional eighth grader. I would have laughed at the ridiculous name.

If it weren't for Hikigaya -kun's dark expression, this is the first time I've seen it, I've always seen him depressed, grumbling, complaining, with his usual sarcasm. But seeing him like that brings an inexplicable feeling in my chest.
Damn, always putting me in unexpected trouble.

Hearing that name Ishisaki and Albert stand up straight as a pair of freshly raised stakes. Only fear remains in their expressions.

Hikigaya: You even know that nickname.

Ryuuen: of course, it's impossible not to know it, to be allowed to meet you again, it's a great fortune Hachiman-san.

You don't have to be a genius, to deduce that what happened between them was something big. So great, that even the savage Ryuuen-kun is only left to bow his head before it.

Ryuuen: Let's have another chance to talk about the past, Hachiman-san, it's quite late we're going to retire.

Hikigaya-kun only remains silent, as the three of them disappear from our sight, now only the three of us are left, the silence is overwhelming.

I feel annoyed towards Hikigaya-kun, I don't know why, no, I think I do, I feel a little betrayed at the thought of an ally, a friend, not giving me the confidence to tell me about him.

Ha, it's funny, me, who never bothered with other people because I never created a bond of any kind with them, now I'm mad at someone.

It's frustrating that the first person I try to truly connect with me won't talk to me about his past.

The silence continues until Hikigaya-kun in a soft voice says.

Hikigaya: I think I have to go.

And he starts walking towards the dormitories, but I don't plan to let him go, so I quickly grab his hand, he stops in his tracks.

My words get stuck in my throat, I don't know why I'm having so much trouble talking to him right now.

Horikita: Wait, what is the meaning of this?

Finally the question comes out from inside me. Hikigaya-kun is silent for a moment.

Hikigaya: Something about my past, you don't have to worry.

I suspected it, it's something involving the person Hikigaya Hachiman before coming to this school.

Horikita: You can tell me.

He turns to me, I can see his face completely now that we are face to face, his expression is gloomy with his eyes that are more dead than usual.

Hikigaya: Why do you want to know?

Why? That's what I keep asking myself, but I've already hesitated for a long time, I want to be a person who is by his side, not just watching his back.

I want to be someone he can lean on.

So I decide to open my feelings towards him.

Horikita: I want you to trust me and I want to trust the first person I can call a friend.

My answer surprises Hikigaya-kun, even Ayanokouji -kun looks at me as if he doesn't believe what he is seeing. A few seconds pass until......

Hikigaya: Pfffffffffffffft, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha what the hell since when did the ice queen thaw so much, that's not your character, Horikita.

It makes me angry, it's the first time I decide to say my feelings out loud, for this idiot to make fun, what's worse is that I never heard him laugh as loud as I just did. That makes me feel terrible.
How much I wish I had a compass to stab him with.

My cheeks are red from the
embarrassment I feel, I don't want to make things worse so it's best to keep quiet. I haven't felt so humiliated in my life, I'll make sure I paid for it.

Hikigaya: ay, man I haven't laughed like that in years.

You insensitive bastard. After saying that his tone becomes softer and more direct.

Hikigaya: I'm sorry Horikita, I can't tell you now, just give me a little time for me to assimilate it, but rest assured I will tell you.

With that promise he turns her feet and starts walking without looking back.

I have a lot of doubts, maybe it shows on my face that Ayanokouji-kun is talking to me.

Ayanokouji: I know you have many doubts, Horikita, but you just have to wait for me to tell you.

Horikita: I know, but it still feels uncomfortable.

Ayanokouji: Don't worry, we all have a past that we want to hide, it is quite difficult to talk about, however he left you the promise that he will tell you. Just wait for the moment when he is ready to open up.

Horikita: A past we want to hide, Jeeee, just like you Ayanokouji-kun?

He looks at me with his golden eyes with passivity, this boy has never told me anything related to him, it's just curiosity that comes up.

Ayanokouji: Yes, I don't like to talk about my past, I prefer that you please don't inquire more about him.

Horikita: I understand.

Ayanokouji-kun is not as willing as Hikigaya-kun is, so I won't force him, I'll deal with just Hikigaya-kun for the time being.

I long to continue talking with Hikigaya-kun.

For some reason I feel more comfortable talking to him.

Only time will tell how our relationship will progress.

We leave for the dormitories, there are too many things to think about, but I'll have to rest first to meditate on them more effectively.