VOL 3 Chapter 10 The days on the island.

It's time for me to get going, it's almost time for the points to reset, I prepare for my departure , in my farewell are Honami, Furinji, Amikura and Kanzaki.

Honami: Isn't it dangerous to come back at this hour?

Furinji: She's right, it's going to get dark soon, you can really get lost.

They are worried, it's a reasonable thing to do, the sun is almost going to set, but I can't stay still.

Amikura: What if you stay at our camp tonight?

Hachiman: I don't want to cause them trouble, I know about the shortage the classes are facing with food and water.

Honami: It's no problem that, besides Mako-chan, you're being hospitable all of a sudden.

Amikura: I am, I couldn't stand Honami-chan and Miu-chan's sad faces.

Furinji: We already told you it's not like that.

Hachiman: Kanzaki, good luck with controlling those three, I feel sorry for having to leave you.

Amikura: Hikigaya-kun, we're still here, you know?

Hachiman: UPS, it's getting late, I'd better go.

Kanzaki: Yes, bye Hikigaya.

Amikura: Try to visit us often.

Furinji: Be careful when you come back.
The three of them bid me a kind farewell.

Honami just looks at me passively. After the conversation a while ago, she tries to remain positive for her companions, yet I can still notice traces of discomfort and contradiction in her mind. I knew it was going to turn out this way, am I being self-centered by trying to get her to see reality?

Honami decides to say a few words.

Honami: Guys, can you leave us alone for a moment?

Perhaps it's because of the seriousness in which she says it that Amikura didn't even try to make a joke, the sentiment is conveyed to Furinji and Kanzaki. The three of them step back a bit, just enough not to listen.

Honami: I've been thinking about what you told me, Hachiman-kun. And I keep coming up with a valid answer.

Hachiman: Don't worry, it's an answer that won't come easily, besides you're the only one who can give a satisfactory answer.

Honami: You also said that I am greedy.

Hachiman: I said so.

Honami: Is it wrong to be so?

Hachiman: No it is not, what is wrong, is that you do not have enough skills to achieve your ambitions, the higher your greed the higher your skills have to be.

Honami: I understand. It is difficult but I will try.

Hachiman: If I can help in any way, just let me know, although I'm not too sure of my abilities.

Honami: You underestimate yourself a lot, go away, quickly, I don't want to have to lecture you about self-esteem.

Hachiman: Yes, yes, I'm going.

With that I turn my feet and head off into the dense forest.

Ichinose Honami, will be able to become a proper leader, but for that she needs a dose of reality.

She has the most difficult quality to achieve, which is charisma and the ability to put aside people's differences.
But she lacks a firm hand at crucial moments. Only time will tell how she will evolve. There is no point in thinking this now.

My goal is to go back to reclaim the places I marked. So I'm getting back on track.

I mark them again, no problem at all, I always make sure there is no one around when marking them. Koenji really saves me a lot of work.

With my target marked, I head back to the B-class camp. Even though I haven't trained for quite a while, I hardly feel tired, or maybe it was because of the brief passage with the C class, either way it was a productive day.....

Ugh, I'm starting to sound like an adult.

When arrived at the camp I can see several classmates around a large campfire, there are others moving things around, there seems to be an established order, I'm glad.

When i arrived almost no one notices my presence, so I sit at the base of a tree.

I was about to close my eyes, when I feel someone approaching. It's a familiar black-haired girl.

Horikita: You have arrived, it's quite late, a little more and you would have been in the night trapped in the forest.

Hachiman: It's worrying what I'm hearing, I didn't think the ice queen would be interested in the state of a humble commoner.

Horikita: I take back what I said, I wish you had stayed in the forest to be bear food and thus contribute to the proper functioning of the ecosystem.

Hachiman: Come on, Horikita, say you miss me, don't be shy.

Horikita: I feel like leaving you eating grass and drinking from tree roots.

UPS, it seems she got a little angry, I can't keep bothering her, otherwise she would really end up eating grass.

Horikita: How did it go?

Hachiman: Everything normal, I was at the C class camp for a while, they are quite organized.

Horikita: They are good when it comes to teamwork.

Hachiman: Even so we are not lagging behind, it seems they have done a good job.

Horikita: You left a great base to work on, it is impossible that we would have obtained these results without you.

Hachiman:..... Are you praising me?

It's unexpected that something like praise would come out of this girl's mouth.

Horikita: You can say it like that, although it bothers me a lot the way you say it, I won't deny that you really have a good leadership ability.

It's surprising that this girl of all people praises me, it's something her pride would never allow.

Hachiman: You are making progress Horikita, the first time she met you you gave an air of superiority in front of everyone, let me guess you think no one can keep up with you.

Horikita: Well, yes, I am superior to most of our peers.

Hachiman: So a superiority complex. I don't blame you for having one, you're good at sports and homework. However I think you are already learning that life is not all about that.

Horikita: You're right, at first I thought you were just a gloomy, foul-mouthed, sardonic, depressing sidekick.

I hope it continues. Come on, I'm waiting for the but.

Horikita: But now, I still think the same way.

Ouch, so low it has me that it could make me cry.

Horikita: still I think you are shrewd and a good leader, that just puts more pressure when you retire.

It's good that you got the idea that you won't depend on me anymore.

Hachiman: Don't be nervous, I told you, you have good skills, you just need to polish some of them.

Horikita: It's always been on my mind why do you have such high expectations of me? You know what I lack, wouldn't it be better to leave the job to someone else.

Hachiman: Certainly, I want to believe in your potential Horikita, you just need to believe in your potential. We all have different strengths, it is in your hands if you want to use yours.

Horikita: You're pretty dumb.