VOL 3 Chapter 5 Maturity

When i arrived, i asked them directly.

Hachiman: Do you mind if I join you?

They all look at me surprised accompanied by different emotions, Satou has an excited look, Matsushita a complex one, Airi a delighted one and Karuizawa an annoyed one?

I can deduce based on their reactions what they feel, Satou is happy because there will be more help, Matsushita because of the awkwardness between us, Airi because she is not going to be alone in front of unknown people and Karuizawa, I do not understand the reason for the annoyance she shows, as far as I remember I have not done something that made her angry.

Satou: Really? That would be very helpful, Hikigaya-kun.

Matsushita: Well, we're the group with the fewest people, so a few extra hands would come in handy.

The two seem to agree, Karuizawa keeps eyeing me suspiciously and Airi nods silently vigorously.

We start walking towards the forest, the trees start to block the sunlight, but that doesn't stop the heat from starting to be felt, it has to do with the humidity accumulated in the environment, honestly these tropical environments are somewhat complicated for normal people, we walk in silence, my lack of communication skills show again, and besides they are cute girls, if I somehow talk and bite my tongue I wouldn't be able to look any of them in the face.

As I wander in my thoughts Satou stands next to me, for your information, the three of them go to the front, while I go in the middle, and Airi goes a little behind me, being surrounded by people or because our relationship has been awkward has prevented her from talking to me, I'm not good at breaking the ice.
Satou starts asking questions.

Satou: Hikigaya -kun, it's unexpected that you would have offered to help us.

Hachiman: It's a normal thing, your group has the least manpower, so I'll help them for the time being.

Satou: heeeeeeee, it wouldn't be because there's a chance to be alone with a group of only girls.

My blank stare stuns her.

What kind of opportunity are you talking about? I actually preferred to avoid this group as much as possible. Being surrounded by girls, it's a generic Harem protagonist situation, which of course I'm not one. What's more, it causes me a constant state of anxiety.

Satou: It seems that's not the case.

Hachiman: It's not, I just want to keep my teammates from getting so worn out.

Matsushita: You sound like an older brother.

I was one. But I can't say, it would be too complicated to explain.

Hachiman: I guess I worried more than necessary.

Satou: Hikigaya-kun, it kind of gives off that vibe.

Hachiman: On the positive or negative side?

Satou: I guess on the positive side, although you're making me doubt.

Matsushita: Your confidence in him went down very fast, Maya.

Satou: It's not like that, Chiaki, it's just .... It's just ........ come on help me Kei-chan.

Noticed that their relationship was tightened by the use of their names, I won't understand how girls' friendships work, Satou asks Karuizawa for help who has kept quiet all the time, her expression tells me that she is very grumpy.

Karuizawa: I don't know, Hikigaya has always been very weird and annoying.

Ooookeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, I don't know what I did, but Karuizawa is mad at me, in my defense I don't remember doing anything to make her uncomfortable.

Satou and Matsushita are also shocked by what she said, they don't know how to answer her.

Matsushita: This, Hikigaya -kun Have you had any outdoor experience?

In a desperate attempt to change the subject, she decides to ask this, they too can feel this heavy air, it is best to play along.

Hachiman: No, I'm more of a city boy, although I must say that being outdoors is quite refreshing.

Satou: Right? I'm not used to it either, but it's kind of nice to have a change of environment.

Matsushita: Nature gives that feeling, Hikigaya-kun, even in a foreign environment you are very relaxed maybe you gave the impression that you were used to it.

I have faced different situations so subconsciously my adaptability was improved as a result.

Hachiman: I get used to it easily, I guess.

Satou: What kind of boy were you in high school? Hikigaya-kun.

Hachiman: Why the question all of a sudden?

It's strange for her to ask that, maybe she's getting the wrong idea about me, poor thing, she's going to end up disappointed.

Satou becomes more reserved.

Satou: I'm curious, you're quite capable of communicating but not socializing much in class.

Do you realize that, am I that easy to read?

Hachiman: I just don't like to draw a lot of attention to myself.

Matsushita: You don't do a good job then.

Hachiman: I've already been told that.

Matsushita: Aren't you going to answer Maya's question?

I don't know why she's so fixated on me, just disappoint them, maybe then they'll stop being so insistent.

Hachiman: I was just a normal boy that you would find anywhere, you would mistake me for anyone.