VOL 3 Chapter 16 Distracted

Horikita POV

It's the last day of the special test, a test that has served to solidify the class, even though they have their differences, everyone was able to work without a problem, even with the situation of the panties, we were able to move forward.

Several groups go to look for food, Ike -kun was really helpful, thanks to his knowledge we were able to collect food without spending points and other things.

The aforementioned Ike-kun goes with Matsushita-san and Satou-san, it's a strange combination, but I guess it's an advantage that they put aside their personal matters and concentrate on the task. Besides that Ike -kun's image has improved from being a pervert to a knowledgeable guy, after that event his attitude improved. Honestly, I thought the best option was for him to be expelled. Now that thought is forgotten.

Hachiman-kun is in the river washing his face, I approach and when I see his appearance I am surprised.

He is quite pale and with big dark circles under his eyes, the physical burden is quite noticeable. I decide to talk to him.

Suzune: It's better if you rest for today.

Hachiman: It's going to start raining butter, this event that you worry about me so often is quite unexpected.

Suzune: You can stop joking around, I'm being serious.

Hachiman: I should ask you that too, how are you doing with your cold?

Here he is, again trying to deflect the topic, sometimes I just wish I could knock him out.

Suzune: No problem, I've rested enough, now I ask you not to change the subject again.

Hachiman: I know, I know, relax I'll be fine, after all it's the last day, nothing can happen.

He says it calmly, but I can't help but worry. It's really strange that I feel worried about him. Maybe it's because of how careless he is. It just adds to my irritation.

Suzune: What do you plan to do about the leaders?

Hachiman: Nothing, we don't know who the leader of each class is, class A according to what you told me lives in seclusion, class C is in an alliance with us, and class D withdrew completely from the test, so basically we have no proof of anything.

Suzune: At least this helped the whole class to unite.

Hachiman: Horikita, are you sure you are not sick yet?

Horikita: What are you saying?

Hachiman: Well, you know, the word "unity" coming out of your mouth is quite peculiar.

Suzune: You know I'm going to come out hitting you. Besides, I don't want to be told that by Mr. "I don't want to be approached".

Hachiman: You say it like I want to be alone.

Suzune: Don't you? You always try to solve everything by yourself.

Hachiman: You're scolding me for your own shortcomings, Horikita-san.

Suzune: Hmph, a vermin will always be a vermin, how pathetic.

Hachiman: You're lowering my place as a human being very quickly, ice queen.

These discussions we have despite the offensive content, I like them. For obvious reasons I'm not going to say it out loud.

But, wait.......... What is this bad feeling I'm getting?

Suzune: Hey, Hikigaya-kun, just out of curiosity, do you have the leader's card with you?

He looks at me calmly.

Hikigaya: Of course, I have it here.

He checks his pockets, but there's nothing, his look is changing from calm to panic, from one moment to the next he's looking everywhere on his body for the card.

Hikigaya: It's not there, it must be in the backpack.

His panic is influencing me, he runs off towards the stores until he reaches the boys' camp, because of my current state I don't mind going in, he rummages through his suitcase when he says:

Hikigaya: Here it is.

And he shows me the card in his hands with his name on it.

Relief runs through my body, it would be a terrible situation if the card disappeared.

Suzune: Hikigaya-kun, it's very reckless what you did, you know you should keep the card as safe as possible, you can't be distracted, you know the consequences you would have caused us.

I know I am being unfair, knowing the state you are currently in.

Hikigaya:..... I know, I am really sorry about this, it is lucky that nothing happened , I was very distracted.

Suzune: Well as long as you keep it in mind, I hope it won't happen again.

I feel a little sorry to see him down, he's really showing me his apologies, so I shouldn't be so narrow minded and keep scolding him.

Hikigaya: It won't happen again.

He assures me again. We leave the store, we see several silhouettes passing in front of us quickly.

Yukimura-kun is the one who stops when he sees us.

Yukimura: Hikigaya, Horikita, this is bad, come on you have to see the situation.

He urges us to be quick, exchanging glances with Hikigaya-kun and we set off to follow Yukimura-kun.

When we arrive at the place it is surrounded by our companions, there are still groups to return, so we are the ones who remain to guard the camp.

We see the manual on fire along with other things to fuel the fire. Hikigaya-kun is as surprised as I am.

Until Hirata-kun arrives with a bucket of water to put out the fire.

Hirata: Is everyone all right?!

He makes sure no one is hurt. No one raises their hand or demonstrates, so I guess everyone's fine.

Hikigaya: Wait, where's Ibuki?

An unexpected question comes out of him. I start looking around, where I can't find her, everyone is in the same state. She's nowhere to be found.

Hirata: No one has seen her, do you think she could be to blame for this?

Hachiman: Most likely, we were careless, she used the moment of confusion to escape.

A conclusion came to me.

Horikita: So that means, she did her job, all this time she was after the identity of the leader?

Kushida: So from the beginning Ibuki-san was a spy, I.....i ....

Kushida-san must feel responsible because she was one of those who gave him the warmest welcome.

Hikigaya: No, Kikyo, it was my fault for being careless, if I had had the card with me from the beginning it would have been impossible for her to find out the identity. Truly, I'm sorry to everyone, I failed you as a leader.

He bows his head, he must really feel bad, everyone counting on you might cause him more stress than necessary, I had always believed that Hikigaya-kun was an infallible leader, I idealized him too much, it's not his fault but mine. He is a human being, and all human beings make mistakes.

Hirata: That's not true, Hachiman-kun, you have been very helpful to everyone.

Karuizawa: That's right, please don't put your head down, it makes me feel useless.

Akito: They're right, Hachiman, the burden is not yours alone.

Ken: Right, damn it, we were tricked by that Ibuki guy. I knew she was very suspicious.

Sotomura: Hikigaya-dono we all agree that we had our guard down with her, so don't blame yourself.

And so several of our classmates give encouragement to Hikigaya-kun, they are right, he is not completely responsible for this situation, we all are.

Horikita: Hikigaya-kun, raise your head, you as the leader of the class should be prouder than anyone else, remember what you told us, we have to be united to become stronger.

He raises his head but still the somber look is still present on his face.

Hikigaya: Alright, I'll try my best.

I feel a drop of water falling on my shoulder, and seconds later much more starts to fall, it's raining, it's kind of depressing that it starts to rain when we were defeated.