VOL 3 Chapter 12 Relationships

Hachiman POV

We are on the fourth day of the special exam, things have been going pretty well, the teamwork between everyone has paid off.

I've kept my distance from everyone, basically that way it's harder for Ibuki to observe my movements. I've tried to keep my distance from her.

But there are little annoyances that worry me.

Like for example the one I am about to witness. I can see Akito and Kiyotaka with Yamauchi, it's a strange combination. I see them from afar so I decide to approach, it might be an awkward situation but I won't let any opportunity pass me by.

Akito: Hey, Yamauchi can you stop doing that?

Yamauchi: I don't know what you mean.

Akito asks him with a firm tone but I can sense traces of annoyance in his tone, Kiyotaka just watches passively.

Hachiman: What's going on?

I decide to interrupt.

Kiyotaka: Hachiman, it looks like you joined us.

Hachiman: It's unusual for you three to talk.

I can see Akito is a little uncomfortable, I can deduce the reason for that, although I have to take the situation in front of me.

Hachiman: I'm going to repeat it again, what's wrong?

Akito hesitantly answers me.

Akito: I just wanted Yamauchi to stop that kind of behavior he has towards Airi and Haruka.

I had heard from Kikyo that Yamauchi has had constant perverted approaches with the girls, but this had not been reported.

I squint a little and ask again.

Hachiman: Just to be sure, what kind of behavior?

Akito: He's been leering at girls, I've been told that they feel very uncomfortable around him.

Yamauchi: That's not true, it's not my fault that they think they are more than they are.

Those girls aren't slandering because they felt like it, but Yamauchi already has a long history of complaining. So obviously the scales are tipped more.

Akito: I'm telling you in good faith, stop doing that, you're making my friends uncomfortable.

Yamauchi: You're not being very biased, it's not my fault that they're a bit cute, so as a man I have the right to feast my eye a little, don't you think?

This guy instead of moving forward has gone backwards, what the hell is this macho logic? A woman is not made for the enjoyment of men.

Hachiman: Yamauchi, shut up for a second.

I tell him to shut up.

Hachiman: Stop doing that, you know all the girls are avoiding you like the plague.

Yamauchi: Stop being a smart ass, Hikigaya, of course since you always keep yourself surrounded by pretty girls you don't care what happens to other men.

Hachiman: You know Yamauchi, I thought you were just a misunderstood fool but in the end you're just an idiot.

I grab him by the collar of his shirt.

Hachiman: Let me warn you something, if you ever get close to one of my friends again, I swear the only thing you're going to taste is the taste of iron in your mouth, got it?

I don't usually let this side of me out so easily, but this guy really pissed me off.
It bothers me that he makes my friends who have complexes with their bodies feel bad, he's making their dislike become worse, I haven't felt so annoyed since some kids picked on Komachi, in the end I ended up fighting three guys, of course I lost but they didn't leave without a few bruises.

I guess because they are people I appreciate it bothers me that they only look at them that way knowing that they are good girls.

I let go of his collar, to which he just averts his gaze and leaves the three of us. He quickly leaves so we don't say anything else to him, I hope he was clear, because if he doesn't I don't mind breaking his face.

So it's just Akito, Kiyotaka and me. Akito is the first to speak.

Akito: Hachiman, thank you for supporting us.

Hachiman: You're welcome.

We become silent again, it's uncomfortable.

Hachiman: Akito, so you know about me.

Akito: Yes, you are a legend among all criminals.

A legend? What an exaggeration. I've never considered myself someone who is portrayed so greatly.

Hachiman: I understand if you don't want me to get close to you anymore, I know the rumors about me are ........ unpleasant, so I think it would be better if we kept our distance.

Akito looks at me passively, a strangely complex and calm look is on his face.
Until he decides to speak.

Akito: *sigh* if it was a few days ago you would have told me that, I would definitely agree. After all the impression I had about you is one of terror. The red moon is a very big event.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal, on second thought, if it is that big of a deal, I faced too many guys that night, from a normal person's perception what I did was something horrifying, I'm surprised they didn't place charges against me, although I also doubt that the criminals would be able to go to the police.

Akito: But I was thinking during these days, and I came to the conclusion, that the famous Phantom Asura is my friend, I had a completely wrong view about you.

Hachiman: Just to ask, what image did you have?

Akito: Something like a six-armed deformity with three heads that spit fire out of them and a scorpion tail.

What the hell, it's not even considered a human, that thing!

Hachiman: A rather distorted view.

Akito: You can't blame me, I'm getting off topic, as Phantom Asura was saying he gave me the feeling of someone tyrannical and arrogant, but when I first met you, I thought you were a calm and easy going guy, albeit with a grim attitude and a rather venomous mouth. I know what you're going to claim but let me speak first.

He read my thoughts, I was about to say something.

Akito: So the point I want to get to is that Hikigaya Hachiman is my friend, we all have our past it would be unfair for me to judge you by it, I don't want you to stay away from us, we have a lot of memories to make.