32. QUEEN'S GUARDS

"Whenever you know what is right, you must also know the courage that it demands."

****************

Tiara

Strength. Assertive. Decisive. Discipline. Accomplished. Adaptable. Vigilant. Patient. Clever. Brave. And Loyal. These are the traits I was looking for in the warriors, to be my bodyguards. Also I was making sure, I choose one shifter from each species, who carry all these traits. It wasn't an easy task, when you had to choose only a few from hundreds of warriors. Still, I was determined to do so, no matter how long it takes.

I was getting intimation to attend the Royal court meetings, currently handled by Drake. I also heard a rumor that 'the new Queen might be scared to face the people'. Like what? Although, Drake never bought it up but, I know he's struggling to keep the court members from lashing out on me. I'm not using him as a shield but, I'm looking for the right moment to face them. Like today. Kenneth and Kaiden were helping me with some paper work. Drake and Simon were in the court meeting, doing my job. But not any more.

I walked with purpose towards the court room, with only one thing in mind. Make the trouble makers shut it and keep it. 15 minutes into the meeting, I entered the court room with a grand entrance, making everyone's eyes go wide and the sudden commotion to go quite. My mate was up from his seat, as surprised as them. "My queen" They all bowed, like they were not just tarnishing my images few minutes back. "Good to see you back, my love" Said Drake, looking happy. I smiled at him and then my poker face was back.

"GoodMorning everyone. So good to finally meet you all." I said, giving them all a genuine smile. "It's good to finally see you, my queen." Said someone, in a taunting voice, turning my attention at him. So he's the one, among few others to spread the rumors. "Indeed it is, Lord Joel." I smiled, making his smirk fall. Was he expacting me to forget his name? "Lord Joel? How are the widows and orphan programs going on in your states?" I asked, making him gulp. "Quite well, my queen. We have taken sole responsibility to provide for them. The kids studies and bring ups are all being planned by our local authorities." He said, proudly.

"Good. And what about the warriors, on duty, who are now for some reason, incapable to fight? What plans you have for them in mind?" I asked, making him sweat. "How many are they again?" I asked. "Aa..Approximately hundred, my queen." He said, making me smirk. "And your plans for them?" I asked, making him frown. "We..don't have any plans for them yet..but, I'll be personally taking care of how to compensate them, my queen." He said, blinking. "Lord Jeol? There are total 784, such warriors, who almost lost their lives, fighting for the motherland and you're still thinking, how to compensate them!?" I raised my voice, making him gulp.

"You're not leaving your chair untill you  impress me with a mind blowing idea, of how to honor them for their services, towards the country." I ordered, making his eyes go wide. "Today? My Queen?" He asked, "Yes, Lord Joel. Today. Chop chop" I said, turning around, giving my back to him. Drake and Simon had amused faces. "My Queen, with your permission." Said someone else. Aah the second Riot. I'm so enjoying it. This was the clever one. "Yes. Lord Miles. Please." I made sure, I remember all their names and the work they do for the court.

"I heard that, the Royal bodyguards are yet to be choosen? If I'm not wrong, nobody accompanied you today to the court room, you're supposed to be accompanied by them, my queen." He asked, like he was so worried about my wellbeing. The actual reason is, he thinks, I'm incapable of choosing a proper bodyguard or make any sane decisions, for that matters. I smiled at him. "Lord Miles? What is the number of participants do we have in total?" I asked him. "About 600, is my guess." He said, unsure. "The total number of participants were 870. Among them, do you know, how many are females?" I asked again.