three

Friendly Fire

Chapter Three: Fan The Flames 

"I think I'm burning alive, but nobody sees the fire."

-Block me out, Gracie Abrams 

At first, Scott was reliving the night that he was bit

At first, Scott was reliving the night that he was bit. He was in the woods with Stiles and then somehow ended up in the road. Narrowly escaping a collision with Allison's mom's car, with Allison in the car. He watched as she ran into the woods wanting to make sure he wasn't hurt.

Then he was watching Arlo at home with his mom. They were sitting at the dinner table, and Scott noticed that there were three places set. He didn't know why, Arlo looked to be about fifteen, and Rafael had left when Arlo was nine.

"Remember to get your dad a napkin, sweetie. He'll want one when he gets home for dinner." Jinha reminded Arlo as she continued to make dinner.

Rafael hadn't been home in four years.

The next thing Scott saw was Jinha and Arlo both crying. Jinha was scared, and Arlo was devastated. Jinha sobbed, and Arlo was crying silently. They were at the park, and Jinha was frantically showing people a picture of a young boy. He was smiling, and he was missing his two front teeth.

"Please help me find my son." She begged while Arlo held her hand, trying his best to comfort her.

Scott's heart broke at the realization. His tears matched Arlo's. Jinha didn't recognize Arlo as a teenager. She could only remember him as a young boy. Back when everything was okay, back when she still had Rafael.

Scott wanted to go back. He wanted to bring Arlo back with him. To the day he first heard Arlo's name. To the day he found out that he had a brother. To the day Melissa found out about Rafael's new wife and son. When she drove him just to meet Arlo so they could be brothers. So he could hold Arlo and tell him that everything would be okay, that he would make sure to keep the ghosts away. But the ghosts were already here and made a home in Arlo's house, and Scott had already woken up.

"I saw it. I know where it is."

"We passed it. There's..."

"There's a stump, this huge tree. Well, it's not huge anymore. It was cut down. But it's still big, though, very big."

"It was the night we were looking for the body."

"Yeah, the same night you were bit by Peter."

"I was there too, in the car with my mother. We almost hit someone."

"It was me. You almost hit me."

At the realization that they all knew where to look, hope filled the room. Which was then succeeded by a sense of urgency. Scott, Stiles, and Allison had been out for sixteen hours. With the full moon rising in less than four hours. Time was running out.