thirteen

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Thirteen: Embers of Destiny 

"Dancing fire at the end of the world." 

-Tomorrow x Together, Can't you see me

Arlo could feel his father's stare as his phone continued to ring

Arlo could feel his father's stare as his phone continued to ring. Isaac's name flooding the screen, Stiles raised an unimpressed eyebrow at the number of heart emojis following Isaac's name. Everytime Arlo tried to answer his phone, Rafael would command him to sit down, leaving Arlo in an even more awkward situation.

"So, when did you get there?"

"At the same time."

Arlo's phone lit up once again, his ringtone playing this time. Rafael sighed at how his interrogation was going and One Direction's What Makes You Beautiful blaring from his youngest son's phone.

"Just let him answer his damn phone, McCall!"

"Fine!"

Arlo exited Noah's office with a bright smile of thanks before answering his phone.

"Arlo, I just almost got killed by some ninjas."

"Ninjas?"

"Well, I think they were ninjas."

Arlo sighed at the news, but asked Isaac some follow up questions to discern the threat level of these so called ninjas. After learning that Isaac hadn't been physically harmed during the altercation, and only had a strange marking behind his ear as a result, Arlo figured it would be safe to share what he discovered at the school. Especially after hearing Isaac argue with Allison about breaking their 24 hour silence deal, Isaac claiming that Arlo doesn't count because they were best friends.

"Isaac." Arlo started, swallowing down a sob. "Stiles, Lydia and I went to the school to investigate my theory about Barrow's scent being hidden and we found a message on the blackboard in the chemistry classroom."

"What did it say?"

"It was a list of element names, but when you substituted the name out with the symbol it spelled out Kira."

"Well shit."

"Isa, it gets worse." Arlo whispered, thankful that Scott was currently occupied with being interrogated so it was less likely that he wouldn't overhear. "The handwriting on the board was Stiles's handwriting."

"Oh god."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

Going to school during a power outage is a pain in the ass, but Arlo didn't expect anything less from the American public education system. He also took a moment to recognize how lucky he is to even have access to education, but that quickly diminished when he had to separate Stiles and Coach Finstock.