twenty-eight

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Is This What Happens Next?

"Always an angel, never a god." 

-Not Strong Enough, Boygenius 

Caspian ended up being half right, the lacrosse boys did end up killing Liam a little bit

Caspian ended up being half right, the lacrosse boys did end up killing Liam a little bit. But they only snapped his leg in half, so the poor boy was alive but he was not having a great time. None of the pack was having a great time, Arlo was carrying Liam with an arm under his legs into the hospital while Caspian was chewing Scott, Stiles, and Isaac out in the parking lot.

"Hi, Melissa!" Arlo called out when he saw the woman.

"Hi, sweetie." She greeted back. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Liam." Arlo informed. "The guys broke him during lacrosse."

Melissa sighed before answering back. "Let me grab a wheelchair."

The ride back to the house was silent on Arlo's part. Stiles tried continuously to get his boyfriend to talk to him but nothing that he was trying was working. Suggestions of usual after school rituals fell on deaf ears, Arlo's eyes were focused on the changing landscape. It was clear from the moment that they all heard Liam's leg snap that everything that had happened that day had been done with malice. Stiles figured it out then, but it was killing him that Arlo knew it too. Avoid, avoid, avoid. That was Stiles's plan. Arlo's silence stuffed all of Stiles's words back down his throat.

It was strange how silence could fill a room and kill somebody's will to try.

"You know that it was an accident right?" His tone was the harshest it had ever been with Arlo, that was an accident too.

"Are telling me that what just happened was entirely an accident?" The same calm tone that was always given to Stiles was still there.

"We didn't want him to get hurt." A deathgrip on a shield that didn't even need to be held.

"What did you think was going to happen when you guys decided to play that rough?" They had pulled into their driveway by now. But neither one of them made a move to get out of the jeep. Arlo finally turned to face his boyfriend.

"I thought that we were going to find out if he was a werewolf or not." The disappointment that lingered in Arlo's eyes hit Stiles like a punch to the gut. The only other time that Stiles saw Arlo look like this was when he spoke with and about Rafael. It was not comforting to be on the receiving end of Arlo's disappointment.

"Can other people not be good at lacrosse? Do they have to play at a level that makes you and Scott feel better about yourselves?" Normally these words would have a sarcastic bite to them but Arlo felt like he was grasping at straws to try and make everything make some semblance of sense.