four

Friendly Fire

Chapter Four: Catch Fire

"You won't like what you see. So keep your eyes off of me."

-Royal, Waterparks 

To Scott, it didn't seem like his father would be leaving soon

To Scott, it didn't seem like his father would be leaving soon. It didn't seem like Arlo would be leaving either. Scott had seen Arlo and his mom whispering over papers at the kitchen table the night before. At first, he had wanted to know. But once he found out, he could only hold Arlo while the two of them cried.

Melissa helped Arlo find his mother a safe long-term psychiatric facility. While Noah had helped him receive emancipation from his mother's care so he wouldn't have to enter the foster care system. Scott's heart broke for his baby brother. Arlo's heart broke for his mother. Melissa's heart broke for both of them. It was the first time Isaac wished he didn't have enhanced hearing.

Arlo's current living situation wasn't haunted. In fact, it was littered with sounds he had wished to hear in his house with his mother. The house he was in now was starting to feel like home. He could hear a DVD being put in the player and a pizza box being opened.

"Dad, I'm telling you that you're going to love it."

"And I'm telling you that I'm only watching it because Arlo said it would be good."

"You're picking Arlo over me? Your own son?"

"Yeah."

The last Arlo wanted to do was displace Isaac from the safest home he's ever been in. So when Noah offered him the spare room in his home, Arlo jumped at the opportunity. Scott had pouted when he learned that Arlo wouldn't be living with him, but he gained a little pep in his step when he learned that Arlo would be transferring to Beacon Hills High. Stiles had been absolutely confused when his dad stuffed him into a rented Uhaul to help go and get Arlo things from his house with his mother. He was even more confused when Noah told him that Arlo would be living with them.

"Stiles, you're getting to watch Star Wars. Why are you complaining?"

"You know what, Arlo? I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay, pretty boy."

Arlo conceded, grabbing a slice of pizza and settling into his place on the couch. He had to snatch a corner of the blanket that Stiles had settled under, forcing him to share it. Stiles fought him for the blanket, but Arlo let go of it, causing Stiles to fall backward off the couch. Arlo reached out to catch Stiles's drink that he had been holding. Noah let out a sigh of relief, knowing he wouldn't have to spend most of his night trying to get Coke out of the carpet.

"Nice hands Arlo."

"Yeah, I'm okay, Dad. Thanks for asking."

"No problem, Stiles."