thirty-one

Friendly Fire

Chapter Thirty-One: Bounty

"I'm a worst case kid in a plague pit town."

-Worst Case Kid, Tommy Lefroy

The sheriff's station was starting to feel like home for Arlo

The sheriff's station was starting to feel like home for Arlo. Odd to think of a place where people were actively being charged with crimes as home. Strange to think of this pace with its violent history as home. But home is where the heart is and Arlo Stewart's heart was explaining how Lydia transcribed the dead pool to Noah.

"She wrote it. Actually, she transcribed it... without realizing it." Stiles's words began to trail off with uncertainty.

"Banshee?" Noah sighed, Lydia's powers worked in a such a way that left so much knowing to be desired.

"Banshee." Arlo confirmed, a smile dipped in sympathy on his lips.

"Beautiful." Sarcasm was certainly an inherited trait in the Stilinski family. It made Arlo wonder if Stiles's mother was the same way or if she was the calm space that both Stiles and Noah needed.  It wouldn't be wrong to say that Arlo was now that presence in their lives.

"All right, what are these numbers next to the names?" Noah spoke again, directing his question to Arlo specifically.

But Arlo yielded his opportunity to speak to Scott and Stiles, letting them deliver the news of the use of Allison's name as the cipher key for the first third of the list.

"We're getting to that. First, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key." His habit was still there, words always flew from the mouth of Stiles Stilinski like they were running from something. But they also ran toward reassurance depending on the circumstance.

"Wait. You mean, like, a like a key word?" A cipher didn't seem so strange. But the air in the room was so heavy and tense.

"It's actually a name-" Stiles swallowed, his throat was hard with remorse.

"Allison." It was still fresh. The hurt felt like it would never be anything but fresh. The pain of losing Allison Argent echoed throughout Scott's bones and there were some days where the pain was so sharp. So sharp that Scott wondered if when he looked down, would see his rip cage splitting his chest wide open?

"Her name broke a third of the list." Arlo spoke up. "We think that there are two more cipher keys which will reveal the following two thirds."

"So, how do we get the cipher keys?" Noah asked the three boys.

"Same way we got the code." Stiles began.

"Lydia." Scott finished.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚