twenty-four

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Twenty-Four: Beneath the Surface

"And if I could give you the moon." 

-Moon Song, Phoebe Bridgers

There was nothing like the imminent threat of death to get the blood pumping

There was nothing like the imminent threat of death to get the blood pumping. Arlo felt like his heart was going to beat out of his chest, Araya's words were rather clear despite them being a question. She was going to kill one of the men by their table and she wanted to see if Lydia would know who it would be.

"How does it work? Do you need to touch them?" It was as if Araya was standing and circling them, her words carried such an intensity it was a wonder the table hadn't caught on fire. "Or, is it just a feeling?"

"I told you, I don't know." Lydia spoke through her teeth, her heart wasn't doing any better than Arlo's.

"Just how close to death do they have to be?" Araya asked. She could tell that Arlo was about to speak so she threw her knife into the man she had been planning to kill.

"Why did you do that?" Breathing was escaping Lydia, she latched onto Arlo's hand and she wasn't going to let go.

"He stole from me." The words were so simple, but the actions taken because of them were drastic.

"What do you want?" Arlo spoke, for once his face didn't hold all of the secrets he tried not to tell.

"Right now? I want to know about Scott McCall. I want to know what kind of an Alpha he really is." Lydia and Arlo both just wanted this day to be over.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。

He hated how he was getting used to it. Arlo hated how long it took for him to be sad about that man dying right in front of him. Was he broken? Or had he been broken for a while now? Perhaps it had happened when Rafael left, the first person that made him feel like he wasn't trying for. Everything was blurry. Absolutely everything. Arlo could barely make out Scott's face as he and Lydia were pulled into the room with Scott and Kira.

He could finally start to understand what was going on when they sat him down and strapped him to the chair.

"Oh, that's not good." Arlo's eyes widened.

"Let him go!" Scott's heart was beating so fast. "Look, you've got me. Just let the others go."

"Your hand goes here." Severo guided Kira's shaking hand. "So, let me explain what's about to happen.This one, the fox, has an immunity to electricity. So, she's going to turn the dial on the Alpha. If she doesn't? I turn the dial on the reincarnation. The banshee is here to practice."

"No. I'm not doing this!" Kira refused.

"No." Lydia whispered.

"I see. Are you sure? One of your friends has the power to heal. The other? Not so much." Severo made it sound so simple.