twenty-two

Friendly Fire

Chapter Twenty-Two: Inferno's Final Echo 

"It's better to be held than holding on." 

-She's In The Rain, The Rose

Arlo had always survived in chaos and that's why he continued to grow

Arlo had always survived in chaos and that's why he continued to grow. Void thrived in chaos because that's all he's ever known. It was one of his reasons for existing. Lydia's scream was still echoing through Arlo's head, his knees stung as he wrapped his arms around Isaac. Caspian arms looped around the tall boy as well. He had been curious at the start, he still was but as he watched Scott McCall hold Allison Argent as she died, he knew that his questions could wait.

There were two things in life that were universal, life and death. Everyone would experience them both, the transition between life and death could prove to be quite troublesome. Allison was a star, beautiful in all of her qualities. But now she was an echo of death, her life would continue to shine over everyone, leading them wherever they go. Her life had been transformed into everyone's memories.

"I'm sorry, it all happened so fast. I can't believe she's gone."

The walls of the Yukimura house welcomed Arlo and the sins that painted his skin. His hand was so tightly intertwined with Stiles's that he was sure his wrist would break. But Arlo didn't mind, it would give him something else to think about. His eyes traced Stiles's face, making a map of the moles that kissed the older boy's face and neck. Arlo and Stiles had gained the weight of each other, and they refused to lose that weight.

"Here. It'll calm you." Noshiko placed down a few mugs of tea on the coffee table. Arlo grabbed his mug and settled into the couch, one of his hands resting near Stiles's leg.

"What is it?" Stiles questioned, watching Arlo sip on his drink. Arlo's lips managed to curve into a smile at Stiles's distrusting nature.

"Tea." Noshiko answered, gesturing for Stiles to take a drink.

"What, like magic tea?" Stiles looked down into his mug like he was expecting it to bite him.

"It's just chamomile tea, pretty boy. You can drink it." Arlo soothed Stiles's nerves better than the tea did. Kira watched the two of them with a smile despite the circumstances.

"He's not safe here." Ken sighed out. "Neither of them are."

"They aren't safe anywhere." Noshiko whispered intensely.

"Joy." Arlo muttered. Stiles laid his own hand over Arlo's, Arlo squeezed his hand three times. They would get through this somehow, they had to.

" But Allison killed one of them. Doesn't that mean something? She killed an Oni." Kira insisted. For good reason, nobody had been able to harm an Oni, let alone kill one.