seventeen

Friendly Fire

Chapter Seventeen: Say The Name

"You and me, beside you." 

-Snap Shoot, Seventeen

Arlo's lip trembled as he bounced up and down on his toes

Arlo's lip trembled as he bounced up and down on his toes. The sound of his heels tapping against the floor helped drown out the thoughts in his head. The knowledge of Void living inside of Stiles did not help Arlo's nerves at all, especially since he didn't know exactly what effect that had on Stiles.

Eyeing the MRI machine also brought back some memories Arlo would rather forget all together. As Arlo watched Noah and Stiles hug, he couldn't help but miss his mom. His back was tense with anticipation as he waited for his turn to say something to Stiles before he went into the machine.

"There's no cure." Stiles muttered, addressing the elephant in the room.

"Stiles, if you have it, we'll do something." Scott said firmly, holding onto Stiles's shoulder. "I'll do something."

Arlo smiled a watery smile as he watched Scott and Stiles hug. Scott pulled Arlo into a brief hug on his way out of the room, joining Melissa, Noah, and the doctor on the other side of the glass.

"Hi, pretty boy." Arlo greeted lightly as he walked up to Stiles. Placing his hands on the outside of Stiles's legs, leaning on the table. Their faces just inches apart.

"Hi, Arlo." Stiles's face had a ghost of a smile haunting it. "This is a fun time, right?"

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be than right by your side, Sti." Arlo reassured. It was true, there's nowhere else Arlo would rather be at this moment. "You know that no matter what the results of this MRI are, you're still my pretty boy. Nothing is going to change how much I care about you, okay?"

Arlo's heartbeat felt like a hammer in his chest, he wanted to be open and honest about his feelings but now wasn't the time for a confession.

Stiles's heartbeat felt just the same. Arlo was so close, Stiles couldn't help just forgetting about everything as he looked into Arlo's eyes. He leaned forward, holding Arlo's face with his hands as he placed a kiss on the younger boy's forehead.

"Okay, Arlo." Stiles whispered, lowering his head. Pushing his forehead into Arlo's. "I feel the exact same way."

When Stiles opened his eyes again, he wasn't pleased with the result. He was back, or maybe it was back. Stiles couldn't be sure if the shadowed figure was human at all. Obsession is an entirely human experience, so Stiles presumed it had to have been human at some point.

"Have you figured out my riddle yet? If you answer correctly, we might consider letting them go." It prodded at him, the stupid riddle again.

"Letting who go?" Stiles wondered aloud.