nineteen

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Nineteen: Echoes of Immortality

"To hold me like water or Christ, hold me like a knife."

-Who We Are, Hozier 

You could almost hear the toll it was taking on Arlo's body

You could almost hear the toll it was taking on Arlo's body. Hear how his bones creak as the pressure of the weight of all of the lives he could be living pressed down on him. Arlo had been grieving his childhood for the past seven years, wishing that he could just be thankful for being alive. His brain could forget everything for the most past, it was his heart that couldn't let go of the memory. The memory of the ghosts he was left to play with, the ones who volunteered to be the distraction while the others terrorized his mother's soul.

Arlo had always had more than enough love for one person, you could even say that he was carrying the love of two people. He had always wanted to be loved in a way that made him feel like he had earned it. In a way that didn't require him asking to be loved properly. Arlo used to shy away from it when he was younger, when Rafael first left. It would seem that kindness at age ten was proof that he was broken in the first place.

It's true that Arlo does carry the love of two people. He knew that now. Noshiko's voice flowed over his phone to deliver the news that he was glad he didn't have to hear in person.

Arlo has always been able to find the people that he loves in the things that they love. He could find his mother's laugh in every ABBA song. Scott's smile in the skid marks on the street. The brightness of Melissa's eyes in every neon sign. Noah's strength and comfort every time Arlo took a deep breath. He could find Stiles anywhere and in everything.

But there was something about the shadows that made him think there was someone keeping an eye on him. Keeping him safe. He thought that it was someone from his past, a past life perhaps. But Arlo had never entertained that thought for long, it turns out that he should have.

"This was before Siwoo was gone, I had always thought that I was the second person to win Rhys's heart and I was right. The sad truth was Rhys had given his heart out twice but it had to be secret both times." Noshiko's voice came out clearly over the phone as Arlo put his car in park outside of the sheriff's station. "It's why I was so startled and curious the first time that I met Arlo. Now I know the answer to everyone's question."

"What question?" Arlo implored, there were too many questions that needed answering.

"The reason why Void feels the way that he does about Arlo is because Arlo is the reincarnation of Cheong Siwoo. Void's first, and only, love." Noshiko stated, making the confession quick and clear.

"Excuse me?" Arlo panted, the news hitting him with the same intensity as a hammer hitting a steak that sticks too far out of the ground. "Void was in love with the person I was in a previous life?"