fourteen

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Fourteen: Through The Ashes 

"Scream my lungs out and try to get to you" 

-Only One by Yellowcard

Arlo was tempted to imitate the stance of a cowboy from an old western, but as his eyes scanned the room, he could tell that wouldn't be helpful

Arlo was tempted to imitate the stance of a cowboy from an old western, but as his eyes scanned the room, he could tell that wouldn't be helpful. Acting as awkward as humanly possible was Arlo's initial response when panicked. He had to hand it to Isaac, ninjas was a very fair description of whatever was standing in front of him.

Three shadowy figures with metal masks were on the other side of the room. Their eyes glowed in a way that reminded Arlo of fireflies. They all brandished swords and Arlo was really hoping that things wouldn't come to blows. What was he supposed to do in that situation? Run and hope not to die? Arlo knew that his strength was his intellect. Yes, Arlo would consider himself a relatively strong guy, but fighting alongside werewolves and not just getting in their way didn't seem feasible.

Before he could think about it too much Aiden rushed over with Lydia in his arms and handed her over to Arlo.

"Get her out of here."

Arlo ducked out of the loft, Stiles's eyes never leaving Arlo as he watched a shadow follow Arlo the whole way out.

But it was Arlo who noticed that Stiles's stance when the 'ninjas' came out of the shadows, was not like Stiles at all. His shoulders were too tense, tense in a way that Arlo had never seen before. His face curled up in a snarl far too malicious for Stiles. The only thing that was similar to the Stiles that he knew (and liked) was how he immediately shifted in front of Arlo, to keep him out of the eyeline of the perceived threat.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

Noah's heart jumped out of his chest as he heard Arlo scream. His coffee mug shattered against the harsh contact with the tile floor of the kitchen. Stiles leapt up from the couch where he had been tying his shoes, the both of them sprinting up the stairs. Noah tried the doorknob but the door was locked, he was ready to break the door down but Stiles beat him to the punch. Stiles rammed the door open using his shoulder, Noah right on his heels.

Arlo yelped when his door came flying into his room, his eyes flying to Ethan and Aiden who were standing in his room eyeing each other awkwardly.

"What is going on?" Arlo yelled. His arms crossed over his chest, holding one of his pillows against his chest to try and keep him calm.

"We're here to protect you." Aiden said, shrugging his shoulders as he put his hands into his pockets.

"But we scared Arlo." Aiden supplied, awkwardly rubbing his neck.

"Because you broke in!" Noah and Arlo yelled in unison.

Arlo threw his pillow at the twins before going over to his closest and pulling out a sweater, pulling over his head. Aiden reached out to fix Arlo's hair afterwards, Arlo swatting Aiden's hands away. Arlo grabbed his bag off of his bed and grabbed Stiles's hand, pulling him out of the room with him as Noah slammed the door shut.

"I'm sorry, Noah. I can fix the door." Arlo apologized, looking down at his shoes to watch his shoe laces dance.

"Don't worry about it buddy." Noah dismissed, feeling like he just aged ten years in the past five minutes.

Arlo followed Noah down the stairs, still pulling Stiles by the hand along with him. But Stiles didn't remember why he was upstairs in the first place.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

Deja vu was a feeling that Arlo was becoming very familiar with. This time it was Scott dragging Arlo somewhere. Thankfully Arlo was in his class with Coach, the man sticking to his word that Arlo could do whatever with the promise of a steady supply of muffins. Scott dragged Arlo to Stiles's jeep without a word, helping the younger boy up into the vehicle before turning around and heading back into the school.

"Where are we going, pretty boy?" Arlo asked, finding the silence to be awkward for the first time with Stiles.

"The hospital." Stiles answered, his tone suggesting that he didn't want to talk about it much.

"Okay pretty boy, let's go see what's going on." Arlo answered, turning his head against the headrest so Stiles could see his supportive smile.

Stiles started to drive as Arlo words rattled around in his head, the words sounding so similar to how Arlo spoke to him in his dream. The first dream he ever had about Arlo. The first time he realized how gut wrenching it would be to ever lose the other boy. Maybe it was even the first time he entertained the thought of liking Arlo, of even liking boys romantically in general.

Being anything other than straight always seemed like it was something that happened to somebody. It seemed like something that happened to somebody else, never him. But maybe what it really was is just somebody being born with so much love to give, or their love is intended for something that isn't like most. Stiles knew that he liked Arlo the moment he met him, wanting to befriend the boy. Admiring how much he cared about his brother. Watching Arlo stand up to his father and explain why he was there in the first place. Arlo's conviction, his kindness, his brain were all things that made Stiles want to be friends with him right away. Scott being Arlo's brother made that extremely convenient.

What Stiles hadn't been expecting was developing feelings for Arlo along the way. Feeling his heart pound in the same way it did for Lydia as those years. To feel seen and have the attention of the person who was constantly running through his brain was so invigorating. Stiles was sure he could touch the moon if Arlo was there holding his hand, telling him to keep going and insisting on jumping along with him.

It was Arlo's smile that Stiles was thinking about as his eyes closed when he drifted off to sleep after Melissa gave him a sedative.

 ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

"Melissa?" Arlo asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Yeah, honey?" She responded, marking Stiles's medical chart and leaving it for the doctor.

"Something is really wrong with Stiles." Arlo spoke quickly, tears coming from his eyes. "He hasn't been sleeping. He kicked me out of his room, which I was only in there to help with his nightmares and not sleeping means he doesn't have them. But that's not the point."

Melissa watched as Arlo's shoulders and hands shook. How his high tops danced across the linoleum.

"Plus, lately it seems like there is something possessing him! I mean coded messages on blackboards and his stance was so off at certain times. Stiles is kind and awkward so his stiffness is more soft, but lately it's been this hard and cold kind of stiffness."

Melissa pressed her lips together and just listened to Arlo say whatever he needed to say. After a little while, Arlo went to sit with Stiles. Playing some music from his phone while talking about his day, the things that Arlo would love to do with Stiles if they just had more time. If they just weren't what they were.