sixteen

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Sixteen: Nightmare's Inferno

"Take my hand and don't you ever let go."

-Take My Hand, 5 Seconds of Summer 

Isaac felt like tearing his hair out

Isaac felt like tearing his hair out. He was grateful that it had been a while since he felt so helpless and scared. The tolerance was helpful but it didn't make him any less worried about Arlo. If you asked him, he would tell you that he is worried about Stiles as well. But after everything that Arlo has been sharing with him, Isaac felt like Stiles might be an unwilling player in this development. Isaac was worried for Arlo's entire being, but he was worried for Stiles's soul. He's hoping that whoever Stiles was currently sharing his body with isn't carnivorous.

"Hey, Stiles-" Scott spoke into the phone, Isaac's eyebrow raised as he tried to study Stiles's tone over the phone.

"Did you call him? Did you call my dad?" Was Stiles's panting response, Isaac could almost feel how the air was fighting with Stiles's lungs.

"No, just Isaac. We're coming to find you guys. Can you figure out where you are? Try to find something and tell us where to look." Isaac was thankful to hear Arlo's heartbeat over the phone, it never wavered. Arlo was perfectly asleep, his heartbeat was almost too steady for Isaac to be comfortable with.

"It's a basement. I think-I think we're in some kind of basement." Scott and Isaac frowned when Stiles's voice got quieter in dynamic. Stiles's eyes widened as he saw the shadowed figure flicker into his line of sight behind Arlo.

"In a house?" Stiles shivered involuntarily due to a sudden drop in temperature. But then he trembled as the shadowed figure appeared fully, it casting an arm out over Arlo's body.

"No, it looks bigger. Like, industrial. I think there's a furnace. But it's cold. It's freezing down here. Arlo has a sweatshirt on, but I don't have anything to keep warm." Stiles's eyes were glued on the shadowed figure, not understanding why it was so obsessed with Arlo. Was it just messing with him? He didn't have time to think about that, the battery on his phone was dying. "I gotta turn the-I gotta turn the phone off, Scott. It's going to die."

"Wait, wait, wait! What else is there? What do you see?" Scott begged as Isaac listened carefully to see if he could hear anything in the background. But both Scott and Isaac could only hear Arlo's heartbeat in the background. Arlo and Stiles's safety is the more important thing at the moment.

"The phone's dying. I can't talk. I have to go. Please." Stiles whimpered, reaching a hand out to hold Arlo's. Checking Arlo's pulse the same way that Arlo always checks his when he's sleeping.

"Stiles... Why are you whispering?" Scott finally asked, this was the answer he was the most worried to hear.

Stiles looked up from Arlo's face to look at the shadowed figure once again. "Because I think there's someone in here with us and they know Arlo."