ten

Friendly Fire

Chapter Ten: Fight Fire with Fire 

"Did I catch your attention? You look like you lost your breath."

-Looking at Me, Sabrina Carpenter

Stiles was beginning to regret letting Arlo talk him into the younger boy tagging along to Scott's meeting with the twins

Stiles was beginning to regret letting Arlo talk him into the younger boy tagging along to Scott's meeting with the twins. He was also beginning to learn that Arlo could talk him into pretty much anything but that wasn't a thought he was ready to entertain just yet. Stiles wasn't stupid, he knew that dreams represent our feelings in a symbolic way. Some are more complex than others.

But dreaming of Arlo being his boyfriend? That seemed pretty straight forward. But Stiles wasn't sure how he felt about that. For most of his life, he had been in love with Lydia Martin. He knew that he was in love with her, he had been for years. What changed? What was it about Arlo Harlan Stewart that turned his world upside down? Stiles didn't know how to think about the younger boy. Were his dreams actually telling him something he hadn't yet realized or were they just tricks like all of the other ones?

Stiles's dreams had a habit of mixing together, were the happy moments with Arlo really something he wished for or were they just his mind working against him? The only thing that he knew for sure right now was that Lydia's touch didn't feel the same anymore. Her laugh didn't make him smile unconsciously. She wasn't the one he looked for in a crowded room anymore.

Lydia Martin will always be loved by Stiles Stilinski. But he was no longer in love with her. He wasn't in love with Arlo either but as Stiles placed a careful hand over Arlo's eyes and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, he knew that he would one day.

"You're an Alpha. You want to roar like one? You've got to give in, full-throttle. You've got to be the monster. Become the beast." Aiden taunted Scott, trying to get him to roar like an alpha. An alpha that could turn Malia back into a girl.

"Become everything you're afraid of. That's what gives you power. It gives you strength." Ethan added on, trying to position himself in front of the puddle of blood on the floor so that Arlo wouldn't' have to see it.

"Giving in doesn't make you the bad guy..."

"So long as you can control it."

"Sometimes, control's a little overrated."

The twins taunted. Completing each other's sentences as they circled Scott, hoping something, anything would get Scott to find the control he needed.

"Why do you guys sound like the back of a Wheaties box?" Arlo asked with his arms folded against his chest, his eyes still covered by Stiles's hand.

A brief silence covered the room as everyone turned to look at Arlo, confused by his genuine curious tone. Stiles was used to Arlo having a certain sass when he spoke with Rafael, and normally his question would have been rhetorical but Arlo seemed genuinely curious.