seven

Friendly Fire

Chapter Seven: In Hot Water

"When I told you 'I'm fine', you were lied to."

-Mess It Up, Gracie Abrams

Arlo eyed the tables in the vet clinic, wondering if it was worth it to climb up on one

Arlo eyed the tables in the vet clinic, wondering if it was worth it to climb up on one. To feel the cool metal against his back so he could finally breathe. So he could catch up on some more sleep. To make sure that Stiles could sleep as soundly as possible, Arlo stayed up all night just to keep an eye on him. Ready to comfort him if he needed to. Every night since the first nightmare, Arlo's heart jumped whenever Stiles would twitch. Each night Arlo would wish again that he could look into somebody's mind and help soothe whatever was plaguing them.

Stiles didn't know that Arlo wasn't sleeping whenever he was. Stiles didn't know that Arlo had spent so many nights taking care of his mother in the same way. Arlo was used to sleepless nights and going on with his day like nothing had happened. He was always happy to do it. Arlo's gentle nature was born in such chaos, his world constantly whirling around him. But nights were always kind to Arlo.

Right now, his nights consisted of sitting next to Stiles's bed. His head resting on the mattress. Arlo's head always rested near Stiles's chest so he could make sure that Stiles was breathing properly. Their hands were always holding each other's. Always tightly gripped. It calmed the both of them. Sometimes Arlo would reach out and check the pulse of the older boy.

The nights with Stiles were quiet. Arlo realized for the first time how nice it was to be so silent with someone. It was the early mornings that were loud. The dawn would always be accompanied by Stiles panting and crying as he was forced to face the horrors of his nightmares. His insecurities being molded into weapons that would be used against him.

Arlo wished that they could both see the ocean. Hear the waves crashing against the sand. Watching the sun melt into the horizon. Stiles would reach out his hand to point out something behind them because he couldn't face the ocean. Arlo wouldn't be able to face what was behind them. Because Arlo would be looking at Stiles's hand, and Stiles wouldn't know how to tell the ocean that he was drowning on land.

"You're kidding me! A riddle?" Stiles exclaimed. Arlo flinched at his outburst, almost clocking Scott in the jaw with his head.

"My subconscious wants to tell me a riddle?" Stiles continued, his eyes flickered over to Arlo when he heard him giggle. Scott had forced Arlo into a game of rock, paper, scissors to try and wake him up. But Scott always loses miserably whenever they play, mostly because he loses on purpose just to see how excited Arlo gets when he wins.

"Not necessarily. When the three of you went under the water, when you crossed from unconsciousness to a kind of super-consciousness... You essentially opened a door in your minds." Deaton began, trying to find the right words. Making sure he would explain what he could but trying to keep everyone's anxiety levels as low as possible.

"So the door to their minds is still slightly open," Arlo concluded, sticking his hands out for scissors. Scott shook his head as Arlo reached out to 'cut' his flat hand to commemorate his win.

"I did tell you it was risky." Deaton sighed, nodding his head to show that Arlo was correct.

"What do we do about it?" 

"Well, that's difficult to answer." Deaton smiled with guilt. Stiles's eyebrow twitched in annoyance.

"Oh, no, wait a second, I know that look. That's the "we know exactly what's wrong with you, "but we have no idea how to fix it" look." Stiles accused, looking down at Arlo's hand when Arlo tugged on the sleeve of his flannel to get his attention. Stiles held Arlo's hand without a word.

"One thing I do know is that having an opening like that into your mind, it's not good." Arlo reached out to hold Scott's hand as Deaton continued. "You each need to close that door. And you need to do it as soon as possible."

Arlo stumbled as Stiles whirled around at the sound of the bell ringing as the front door opened. Scott smirked as he let go of Arlo's hand so his younger brother would stumble into his best friend's side. Deaton caught his eye and smiled lightly at Scott's look of 'they'll thank me later'.

"Dad, what are you doing here?"

"Hi, Noah!"

Stiles and Arlo called out in unison. Noah managed to crack a slight smile at the sight of them. He loved Stiles to bits and pieces, and Arlo had really made an impression on him. Noah could tell that Arlo had been a boy, a child, gulping down a man's grief. He was surprised that Arlo hadn't choked on it.

"I'm here because I could use some help."