thirty-four

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Thirty-Four: What Does It Mean To Be Lonely?

"Can you see right through me?"

-The Archer, Taylor Swift

The lights weren't as bright as they should have been when Arlo's eyes opened for the first time since they last closed

The lights weren't as bright as they should have been when Arlo's eyes opened for the first time since they last closed. Pain. In the right side of his chest, he could feel it. It was so sharp and his breathing felt lopsided. He shifted in place and could feel something attached to both his face and chest. The ceiling tiles looked like they were going to tell him a story before they disappeared completely.

He was back there again. It wasn't surprising that his mind drifted back there. Back to the camp. Arlo never took the time to process how he felt about being a reincarnation of a man he would never meet face to face. It was a harsh reality that he was being forced to live, and all because he had already died. The ground felt far too stiff under his feet and the eyes that meet his felt far too empty to be the true love of that lifetime.

"Hey baby, I brought your favorite sweater and your favorite snacks for when you wake up." Stiles stumbled through the doorway to Arlo's room and suddenly Arlo was back right where he needed to be. Looking at someone who's eyes were full.

"Baby? That's new." His words were soft but they still caused Stiles to jump in his place and turn around to face his boyfriend.

"Oh my god, hi. You're awake." The hands that moved Arlo's head up for a kiss were so gentle.

"Hi." Arlo smiled so brightly. It made Stiles cry.

"Hi." Stiles knew that he looked like a blubbering mess but he was okay with that.

"How are you? I missed you." Arlo asked patting the spot next to him on the bed, encouraging Stiles to join him.

Stiles had a realization in that moment. It had been a thought that rattled around in his head often, but now it was all too apparent. Arlo had just gotten stabbed and the first thing he does is check on someone else. It made him sad, knowing that Arlo was always thinking of others before himself. Wasn't that lonely? Arlo never looked lonely, but what does it mean to be lonely? Stiles was lonely for so long and he wondered if anybody had ever been able to see just how lonely he was.

"I missed you too. Are you okay?" Arlo's words were so kind but they were stabbing Stiles in the heart.

"Are you? Are you in any pain at all?" Stiles redirected the question and ran his fingers through Arlo's hair.

Arlo shook his head to say no but the movement caused him to take in a sharp breath due to pain. "A little, but I'll be okay."

Stiles hit the call button to alert a nurse and then wrapped his arms around Arlo. He wanted to squeeze him so tight, like he always did to remind Arlo that he was never going to leave. But Stiles was scared that he was going to hurt him. So he settled for kissing Arlo on the forehead. "Thank you for being okay."