five

Friendly Fire 

Chapter Five: Chase The Dragon

"I knew you'd haunt all of my what-ifs."

-Cardigan, Taylor Swift

To say that Stiles felt awkward after last night would be an understatement

To say that Stiles felt awkward after last night would be an understatement. He fumbled around his room, trying to get his backpack put together, but he kept getting drawn back to last night. The lingering feeling of uneasiness paired with awkward embarrassment made his hands extra clumsy.

"Hey. You all right? You ready for school?" Noah startled Stiles.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm good." Stiles did his best to convince his father that he was fine. But Noah didn't seem convinced. "Dad, seriously. I'm fine. It was just a nightmare."

The two of them stood there staring at each other until Arlo came up the stairs. Arlo had brought Noah coffee in a thermos and handed Stiles a paper plate with pancakes on it. Stiles's eyes widened at them, recognizing them from his dream.

"I used the kitchen, I hope that's okay." Arlo smiled at the father and son. Then his eyes lit up in curiosity at the box in Noah's hands. "What's that?"

"That's just, uh, files from the office," Noah answered awkwardly. Trying to hide the box somehow.

"It says, 'Sheriff's station, do not remove,'" Stiles pointed out, stuffing part of a pancake in his mouth.

"Well, yeah, unless you're the sheriff." Noah glanced around like he would find the right words to say. "Oh. Now get your butts to school, all right?"

Stiles was suddenly aware of the time. He rushed forward, grabbing Arlo's wrist and dragging him down the stairs.

"Gotta run, Dad. We're late!"

Noah chose to ignore the sound of Stiles running face-first into the front door.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆

Arlo was feeling pretty good for his first day. Until he ran right into someone coming from the office.

"I'm so sorry." Arlo apologized as he reached his hand out to help up the girl he had knocked over.

"It's okay!" The girl replied, grabbing Arlo's hand. Although she did manage to trip and knock Arlo over this time. "Oh, my god." She whispered in horror.

"Well, I guess we're even then." Arlo laughed as he pulled himself up. "I'm Arlo." He introduced.

"Kira."

"Well, Kira, do you think we could be friends, or do you just want to keep knocking each other over whenever we see each other?"

"I think I prefer being friends."