1

One

Hugging my mother for the last time for an unknown time, I enjoyed it even more. ''Watch out for yourself, alright? I don't want to collect your dead body.'' I had to laugh at her words. She was that kind of person, that would pull a joke whenever she's sad. I think I got that from her. She pushed me back whilst taking one last look at me. ''Look at you being all grown up. I hate this.'' I shrugged before leaning down to my younger brother. ''High five?'' Holding up my right hand, he did as he was ask, slapping his against mine.

He just turned 7 and I felt like the worst sister on the whole planet, leaving him behind. Even with our 16 year age gap, we were inseparable. People used to think he was my child, well most of them still do. But Finnley and I ignored it, spending as much time as possible with each other. I gave him a quick hug before getting back up and hugging my stepfather Michael. He's been with my mother for nearly 9 years so he did not only watch his son grow up but me as well. ''Have fun, Joan.'' He wasn't a man of many words, but his eyes spoke more than a thousand words. I nodded and felt tears coming up. ''I should really go.'' My mother nodded before putting Finnley in her arms. ''If you come back with a child, I'm murdering you. Understand?'' Laughing again, I nodded.

She had me just after she turned 18. But still, I had an amazing upbringing. She gave me as much as she could. Even helping me pay for University, from which I just graduated. ''I love you guys.'' I quickly spun around, not daring to take another look at them. I knew that I'd stay here if I looked at my family for one last time. Walking through the security check, I had to give up my small bag. It was covered in patched I had collected on each trip I went on. Even though we never had much money, my family always managed to show me the world.

Especially my grandfather. He was the person that took my on my first vacation over the big sea. Right into the heart of New York. He'd be proud to see me moving abroad. Thinking back to the times we've spent together talking on the phone about my studies nearly made me cry whilst I collected my bag again. With a swift move I placed my headphones over my ears and walked past everyone in the duty free. I was already late because my brother hid my passport, so now I was in a hurry to not miss my flight.

''Gate 67.'' I whispered to myself whilst again checking if I had everything I needed to survive the flight. It was only a 2 hour flight, but knowing how much I struggled sitting for such a long time, I had to pack a ton of stuff to entertain myself.

After finally reaching the gate, and another passport check, I got in the line which was already creating itself. We might all end up in the same plane and leave at the same time, but my social anxiety made it hard for me to walk past everyone who was already sitting in their seats. It's always the same, even I do it. As soon as I'm sitting down, I'm staring at the people walking past me. Analysing their faces, clothes, what kind of bag their carrying. I liked watching people, but as soon as someone starts watching me, I could throw up. It's not like I'm shy, but at the same time I don't feel comfortable with unknown people staring at me.

''Have a great flight.'' The stewards voice was muffled and I could barely hear him with Niall Horan's voice coming directly into my ears. I just send him a small smile and nod before following after the people in front of me. Everyone was going to the same place; Heathrow.

But as soon as we get out of this plane, we're going to separate. Every single person has their own plans for what to do after the flight. Some might go on vacation, enjoying the culture. I saw a couple of young kids who seemed like they were on a trip with their class. Lucky for me and everyone else, it didn't look like the whole class was on this flight. Maybe it's a trip to study English. I've never done that. My school cancelled the program just a year before it would've been my turn. But still, thanks to the part of my family that lives in the US, my English was spotless. I'm always proud of the fact that I'm fluent in a language I didn't grow up hearing everyday.