Chapter 52

a/n: this time it was the manga that left a lot of things out haha, so this is going by the novel mostly. also now that this ff has basically caught up with the manga...how many of you here are novel readers? I'm debating on giving this book a short break after this arc and start posting again when the manga comes back (assuming it will go on hiatus after idol inc. arc), but it's all up to u guys! i just don't wanna spoil ppl but if u guys are novel readers or manga readers who want to keep reading anyway (since this goes with the novel)...

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

[ Cho Seungmin's POV ]

It was the first time I've seen so many people gathered in one area.

I would always go out of my way to avoid this kind of situation.

"And yet, my heart is beating in a good way."

Everyone went into position as an 8-bit melody echoed in the theater. We glanced at each with nervous inhales.

The backstage screen opened, and we walked out with blue and red lasers sweeping around us. I tugged on my colorful harness archetypically.

A modulated, androgynous voice played.

[ Searching for a match opponent... ]

[ Successful, ]

[ Checking the location. ]

[ Entering the 13th round... ]

All kinds of classic game button sounds replaced the 8-bit melody to match the voice.

We incorporated unnatural popping movements to make us look like some kind of doll or robot. Behind each of us, the screen wrote, [ Insert coin to continue ]

And then, we all stopped.

The lights turned on.

"The victory you're holding in your hands," Ahyun hyung sang clearly, breaking through the modulations in the accompaniment. "I'll be the one to make it happen."

He shot up under the spotlight, and bursts of screams filled the hall.

"The stage is always thrilling. My heart is exploding," Sejin hyung sang the next verse, and then Kwon Heesung took over. Every time the sub-vocalists made their way to the center, the choreography complexified. We were no longer robots.

It was meant to look like choosing a character in a play window while they come to life. It was Ahyun hyung's idea. He wanted the stage to look fun.

"The weapon I'm holding in my hands, you know that I'm never letting it go."

It was the end of Kwon Heesung's verse. Raebin went to the center stage. He began singing first. He was both the 4th sub-vocalist and main rapper.

"Overflowing adrenaline, the surging power flew away. Final shot!" he rapped in a melodic tone. He pointed a finger gun at the camera and winked.

"Breathe in your excitement," I came from behind him, looking over my shoulder as we spun around. "Leave you shuddering...final round. Shoot and hit, final match!"

And then Moondae hyung took over the chorus.

"I'm the one who laughs at the highlights. The victory in your hands-! That's from me, you'll like it too~"'

The beat that was continuously rising temporarily dropped.

Now there was a heavy bass with the theme melody. I stood at the center of a triangular formation as I rapped.

"The victory in your hands, I'll be the one to make it happen. You can choose the challenger that you want..."

I tossed a fake coin from my hands to Lee Sejin hyungnim, who caught it nicely.