Chapter 2 - Boys

Song - Do I Wanna Know? (Arctic Monkeys)

I heard before I could see. The sound of distant boyish jeers and shouts, the nearby chopping of wood, and whispers not too far from where I lay, was what I first could make out of my new surroundings. Then I felt an uncomfortable bed underneath me and my forehead throbbing with sharp pains.

And once I finally decided to open my eyes to whatever horrors lay before me, I saw the faces of four boys. Two were the ones from the box, the blonde twiggy one and the stocky harsh one. The other two were completely new to me, however each of the four boys looked at me with the same gentle look. Eyes filled with curiosity and worry. But something deep down in their expression told me something otherwise. A hollowing sadness. This discovery made me feel sick to my stomach. I needed to get out of here. I sat up before the boys could react and tried to wrench the thin blanket of my body but before I could, four sets of steady hands have my limbs and are holding me down back on the bed. I squirmed and tried to wriggle out of their grasp but under the four boys' strength, it was no use.

"Let go of me! Where am I? What is going on? You can't keep me here." I fumed still wriggling. They just looked amused now which made me even more irritated. My gaze held on the harsh eyebrow boy from the box, who held down my left arm, as he spoke in a gruff but surprisingly earnest voice.

"Hey, slow down. It's okay. Your safe here with us. Just calm down."

I stopped wriggling but the boys' grasps remained firm enough to start hurting. One dark-haired boy turned to the blonde one and murmured,

"She sounds like you..."

"Huh?" I muttered,

The blonde boy shrugged,

"Must be from the same country,"

I was confused as to what they were talking about but their grips started to hurt on my skin.

"Please let go," I murmured. 

All the boys nervously looked at each other, before they looked to the blonde one and once he had nodded, they immediately let go. Must be the leader. 

The 'leader' sat down on the bed adjacent to mine and the others stood.

"My name is Newt, this is Gally, Thomas, and Clint." He said as he pointed at the boys individually. The menacing boy from the box was Gally. The other two were Clint and Thomas. 

Thomas was tall, had dark brown hair, and hazel eyes, and wore a rather solemn-looking expression on his hollow face. He crossed his arms across his chest while searching my eyes. 

Clint was slightly rounder and had a nest of brown curls atop his head. He wore a warm and easy-going smile.

But Gally...

Gally was massive. Broad shoulders and biceps very prominent in his slightly too-tight shirt. Thick veins traveled down his arms onto his hands, which were the size of dinner plates. As I noticed before, his eyebrows gave anyone the impression of a cold, harsh boy. But when you look at him closer and notice his ears that peeked out from behind his short dirty blonde hair, his wide ocean blue eyes, and freckles sprinkling his dimple cheeks and large button nose, one could tell this boy was not as frightening as he seems at first glance.

"We all woke up the same way as you did in the box. Not remembering anything." Newt explained softly.

I sat up in the bed which brought its own aches and sharp throbs in my body, but I ignored them. Thomas leaned against the wall by the door, as he said,

"Do you remember your name?"

I opened my mouth to respond but it was almost like my brain short-circuited. I knew what my name was. I did. But it felt like it had just been surgically removed from my brain. Like it was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't for the life of me say what it was. It hadn't occurred to me until this moment the pure lack of any memories in my brain. I probably looked pathetic opening and closing my mouth repeatedly like a goldfish.

"Um..." I shook my head, irritated at myself, closed my eyes tightly, and thought of every girl's name I could. Georgia, Mia, Riley, Ashley, Selena, Maya, Tilly, Sienna, Imogen, Lyla, Ruby. Nothing fit right. The thought wrapped around my head over and over again until a singular tear rolled down my cheek. I quickly sniffed and wiped it away but almost immediately I felt Newt's hand on my shoulder and the others giving me sympathetic looks. Gally took a step closer.

"Soon, you'll remember. We all did" Gally promised, his eyes deathly serious.

"It took me until the first night," Thomas revealed.

"It's the one thing they let us keep," Newt murmured under his breath. I looked at him.

"Who lets us keep it? Please tell me what is going on." I begged while looking at each of them one by one.

Newt opens his mouth to respond but before he can a new figure enters the room in a jog, making me jump. He had sweat dripping down his forehead, jet black hair and his eyes squinted as he saw me.

"New greenie?" He confirmed with the boys.

"Yep," Newt responded bluntly.

"A girl?" he asked again, squinting his eyes further.

"No shit." Thomas breathed making them all chuckle slightly.

"Cool." He concluded before leaning against the doorway.

"Name's Minho... you remember yours yet?" He asked.

I shook my head. He nodded. I turned to Newt,

"What were you saying before, about us sounding similar?"

"Oh, it's just no one else in the Glade has the same accent as me but it's probably just a coincidence," He answered while shrugging his shoulders.

"Wait, what's a Glade-"

A deep voice enveloped the room,

"I see our new greenie is awake."

I turned to see a man enter the room. The man had dark skin and a round, tired face. He turned to Clint.

"She okay to walk?" he asked, and Clint nodded in return.

"Good. Come on then, we have a lot to talk about."