Chapter 9 - Stumble

Song - Somebody Told Me (The Killers)

Gally slid the grate forward, revealing a large hole dug into the cement. We couldn't see the bottom.

He then was passed a ladder by a different rebel, and he placed it inside the hole.

"Gally, take care of these three," Fry breathed as Gally started the first few steps of his descent.

Gally chuckled airily.

"I missed ya Fry," His voice echoed as he got lower down the hole into the pit, "El you're next,"

I glanced at Brenda at my side, she did the same and gave me a reassuring smile. I returned the favor,  before sitting on the edge of the hole and making my way down the ladder. Immediately I crinkled my nose at the smell.

As I got lower, darkness surrounded me. I swallowed ignoring the tiny bubble of fear forming in my stomach. But then I felt two steady hands on my hips,

"I got ya," Gally murmured while carrying me to the ground.

"Thanks," I whispered back while spinning to look at him. In the darkness, all I could see was the outline of his face. He kept his hands on my waist as he brought me closer.

He looked down at me while placing one hand on the side of my face, smiling softly.

I gazed right back at him. We hadn't had a moment alone yet. I needed to talk to him. I needed to know everything. Get my head straight.

"Gal-"

"What is that smell?" Newt coughed as he started walking down the ladder. Gally quickly dropped his hand from my face and a gap formed between us.

"We are in a sewer Newt," I said rolling my eyes.

Newt grunted in response before landing on the floor with a splash. What was on the floor that caused the splash, I didn't want to know.

"Great," Newt grumbled just as Tom headed down the ladder.

I felt Gally's presence behind me. A warm and comforting energy. I just wanted to hold him forever. Although, I didn't think it had really sunk in that he was back with me, in arms reach. It still felt like a dream. But I didn't have the time to be contemplating this. Our top priority was Minho. Nothing could get in the way of our mission.

Thomas landed on the floor of the sewer pipe.

"Alright... follow me," Gally ordered before turning in one direction and starting to walk along the pipe. I followed beside him.

We sloshed our feet through the tiny stream of... something while making our way through the sewer. The smell crowded my nostrils, making me feel lightheaded.

"This is gross. Jesus," Newt grumbled.

"Yeah, this is great," Tom muttered.

"Hmmm lovely," I sighed.

Gally stopped and turned to the wall of the pipe. He flicked a switch and suddenly lights that had been hung up on the walls flickered on. 

"Stay with me... We got a ways to go," Gally breathed before starting to walk again. I walked beside him.

And Thomas and Newt walked side by side behind us.

"So...what have you been doing this whole time?" Gally asked me quietly.

I glanced over my shoulder at the two boys walking side by side, whispering softly to each other.

I smiled,