Chapter 4 - Tunnel

Song - No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Beastie Boys)

We flew through the rocky terrain as the sun rose up and only slowed down slightly when our surroundings molded into plains upon plains of low shrubbery.

We sat in a comfortable silence for an hour or so until Fry cleared his throat,

"Sooooo... anyone want to play eye spy?"

Thomas rolled his eyes and Newt scoffed. I laughed,

"What?" Fry asked us with his usual tinge of sarcasm.

We all fell back into silence. I watched the landscape fly past us. After a few minutes of that, I was so bored, I sighed,

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with G,"

Another silence from the boys made me think they might just completely ignore me...

"Grass?" Tom guessed from the front.

After another hour of mindless eye spy, we drove under a massive red and white striped sign reading 'Mandatory Infection Check... Two Miles Ahead'.

After said two miles we arrived at the infection checkpoint... or what used to be it. We couldn't see a soul around the place as we stopped at a large crumbling brick building... guarding the opening of a tunnel that goes straight into the enormous mountain in front of us. Abandoned cars and other vehicles are littered around the area, all of them rusted. 

As the boys exited the car, I followed. We walked closer to the entrance of the tunnel. The darkness consuming the inside made it impossible to see an end... or anything inside. Rusted signs telling us to turn back guarded said entrance. Great. Just what we need. Another life-or-death situation

"You want us to go in there?" I confirmed turning to look at Thomas with my hands resting on my hips.

"I don't wanna come across as too negative, but if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be," Newt remarked also looking at Tom, who was staring down at the map in his hands.

"I don't think we have much of a choice," Tom admitted back. I stared into the seemingly endless abyss of black... trying to ignore the growing feeling at the bottom of my stomach. It will be fine.

"All right," Newt sighed, "I get shotgun,"

I scoffed as he headed back to the truck, followed closely by Fry also shaking his head. Thomas stayed put, still sizing up the tunnel.

"You sure about this?" I sighed while walking closer to his side.

Thomas stayed for one last glance at the tunnel before turning his head to me.

"For Minho? Yes, I'm sure. But just... be ready, okay?" He advised.

I nodded in response before walking back to the truck by his side. We both jumped into the back seat. I was behind Fry in the driver's seat and Tom behind Newt in the passenger.

Fry rolled the car into the tunnel, darkness covering us like a blanket.

"Well, here we go," Fry breathed while coming to a halt.

"Yeah, just take it nice and slow," Newt advised, his window down so he could hold a large torch with his hand, pointing it in front of us.

Frypan started moving the car forward. We all strained our eyes in the darkness in every direction trying to spot anything that could be a threat. It didn't take long.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Thomas said from the back as the outline of a crank appeared in front of us. About ten meters away. We all turned to look at Thomas.