Chapter 5 - Run

Song - Run Boy Run (Woodkid)

"Come on! We'll lose them in the storm!" Thomas yelled at the rest of us over the howling wind from the sandstorm.

We sprinted into the dark night, up the sand dunes and I had to use my hands in front of me to stop me from falling. It really wasn't helping having no shoes. Thankfully Newt grabbed my hand as I started to fall behind and heaved me up the last couple steps. He kept his tight grasp on my hand as we glided down the sand dune on the other side and ran into the distance. My lungs burned but I remained fixed on the tiny sliver of horizon in front of us. Only once we were two hundred meters away did Thomas dive behind the tip of a dune.

I laid flat on my stomach in line with the rest of them, between Newt and Teresa. Her eyes were wide and her breathing was hoarse. She noticed me staring and when our eyes met I gave her a reassuring smile. She just turned back in front of her. I peeked over the top and saw the fortress and soldiers -too many to count- on quad bikes, with dogs and torches, searching for us.

Thomas crept onto his hands and knees and backed away from the top,

"Stay low," he murmured before finding his feet but keeping his back level with the top of the dune. We all followed suit until we were low enough to move back into a sprint.   We bolted down another dune and were met with what seemed to be an abandoned building.

"Thomas, there!" I yelled while closing into a little gap in the side. The wall was on a slant, or maybe it was the roof and the sand had just crept up all the way to the top.

"Eleanor wait up!" Minho yelled from behind me as the others followed my path.

I peeked into the gap. It went deeper into the dune than I thought because the interior was massive and totally abandoned. The boys all reached the gap as well and peered inside. The sand had pushed into the building so a small ramp had formed for us to get down there. Perfect.

"Guys come on!" I said while leaping through the hole and down the dune.

"Wait, not down there!" Minho protested

"Eleanor wait," Tom called.

"El be careful!" Newt called out but I ignored them while trodding through the sand and then onto the solid ground. I looked at the room before me. A warehouse of sorts. The dark room illuminated by moonlight led to several other passages, corridors, and other rooms. Sand covered every surface and random objects were strewn everywhere.  I heard the others all grumble while following in behind me, tripping through the sand.

The building was built strangely. Open spaces and yet random walls and rooms popped out from corridors. Only silence came from those walls, the only sounds were the distant howling of the wind.

Minho turned on a torch and trailed it along the space before us.

"Where the hell are we?" He panted looking at me, I shrugged my shoulders.

"We gotta go," Thomas breathed heavily while walking a few steps further into the building.

"Thomas," I warned. He didn't stop moving.

"Thomas!"

He finally turned and looked at me.

"Tell us what is going on," I sighed. "Tell me,"

He walked back towards me and sighed,

"It's Wicked," he murmured, "It's Wicked. They lied to us. We never escaped,"

I inhaled a short breath, the truth feeling like a stab in the chest. We never escaped. Good people didn't rip me from Gally's arms. Wicked did. I swallowed the emotion brewing as he continued,