Part 2 - Chapter 1 - Fortress

Song - Take Me to Church (Hozier)

"Eleanor"

My name echoed in the vast emptiness that surrounded me. Nothing except black. Empty, endless black. I knew that voice. Recognized the gruff yet gentle voice.

I spun around and saw him.

His face had the same sharp angles and soft blue eyes. The same broad shoulders and strong arms I recognized when I first came up that box.

"Gally-"

He cut me off,

"How could you do this Ellie? I trusted you..."

The way his eyes flickered with genuine hurt and pain made my throat tighten. But his eyes darkened. And then he transformed into something else. The version I most recognize from my thoughts. Purple veins creeping up his neck. Bloodshot eyes. Trembling with anger.

"Gally please-"

"I trusted you!" He screamed while pulling out a gun from his pocket... and pointing it at me. But before he could shoot, the gun transformed into one of the metal tentacles that had taken so much from me. And Gally's face and body molded into the creature of my nightmares.

The screeches of the creature as it ran towards me combined with Gally's own screams. His screams of anger... and fear. I turned and tried to sprint as fast as I could. I didn't move an inch. Some invisible tether had me stuck in my place. Tears started to fall from my tears except when I went to wipe them away... they were cherry red.

Blood.

There was blood on my face. And a sickening feeling of dread emerged in my stomach as I realized who's it was.

And then I heard them.

"Ella!" Thomas bellowed.

"You're a traitor!" Minho howled.

"How could you El?" Newt cried.

"Please stop!" I bawled as the puddle of red grew wider at my feet with every sob. Gally was almost here. The griever was almost here. It was over. I couldn't run anymore. I braced for the pain-

"El, wake up!" I heard Minho screech.

I looked around at the space around me but couldn't see him.

"Eleanor!"

My eyes flung open, and it took me a moment to register what was happening. The chopping of a helicopter. White piercing lights. Thomas also waking up beside me. 

Minho's blurry face filled my vision. I was lying on the floor of the helicopter. The maze. The escape. Gally. It all came flooding back.

"We have to go!" Minho screamed while grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the helicopter. It was night now. How long had I been asleep-

"You three! Move!" A soldier ordered, grabbing my wrist, and pulling me away from the boys.

"Thomas come on!" Minho yelled from behind me, while I tried to keep up with the soldier practically dragging me away. That's when I saw it. 

Never had I seen anything as big. It was a fortress. The neon lights touched the sky. Spotlights followed our path toward the building. Soldiers with masks ran in every direction, carrying heavy weaponry. I could see all the other boys in front of me, sprinting for the entrance guarded by even more soldiers. Newt was there. He looked back at me and seemed to be relieved when he realized that I was just behind him.