Chapter 7 - Closer

Song - Cigarette Daydreams (Cage the Elephant)

Clint said I was lucky because I could have severely damaged my knuckles from the punches I laid on Ben. He said that they will just be badly bruised for the next couple of days and that the cuts will heal fully in a week or two. He also said I would have some serious bruises on my neck from Ben attempting to strangle me. Other than that, and a few scratches I was okay. I already knew this, but Thomas gave me a warning look when I tried to tell Clint that.

"I would give you ice if I had it but for now just some rest is in order," Clint concluded while finishing up wrapping my hand. Thomas sat beside me on the bed and gave me a reassuring squeeze in my other hand. I smiled weakly.

"Thanks Clint," I said as he nodded and headed out the door.

"How are you feeling," Thomas asked, shifting his body so he could look at me properly.

"I'm fine, I think I'm just a little shaken up," I answered.

He opens his mouth to respond but before he can Gally runs into the room. Sweat dripped down his forehead and his breathing was hoarse. He relaxed as soon as he saw me sitting up but when his eyes quickly flickered between me and Tom something in his jaw tightened.

Thomas cleared his throat before standing up and patting me on the shoulder.

"I'm glad you're okay El," he said before heading out the door, sending me a secret smug grin. Gally's eyes burned holes in Thomas's back as he left. I stood up and faced Gally as he took a few steps closer.

"You okay?" he asked softly.

I nodded,

"Just a few scratches and bruises. Oh, and this," I said while holding up my wrist and taking another step closer. We were only three feet apart now.

He sighed in relief while running his hand through his hair.

"You know, you did pretty well back there. You gave Ben some serious damage," he smiled softly before continuing.

"But you need to learn how to do it properly otherwise you could get seriously hurt."

"Oh, and who's gonna teach me to do that then, you? You do seem to be the best of the best in the wrestling circle," I smirked.

His gaze intensified.

"Okay, I'll teach you,"

My eyebrows raised in surprise, but I don't object. I remained still as he looked at me.

"Oh, Alby wanted to talk to you," he added quietly, our gazes not breaking.

"Okay," I sighed. I headed for the door and as I passed him, our hands softly grazed each other in a moment that felt like slow motion. I kept walking to the exit but stopped in the doorway as Gally also turned to face me. In a surge of adrenaline, I ran and threw my hands around his neck, holding him tightly. His body remained tense for a split second before he melted into the hug and held me like he did after Ben's attack. His smell filled my nostrils as I buried my face in his shoulder. Fresh grass, wood, and damp soil. Mixed with a distinct smell that radiated from his body. I added it to my mental checklist of everything I noticed about Gally. The list is gradually getting longer every day. From his massive hands, his smell, and the way his face moves when he is surprised. My mind returns to my body, and I soften the tightness of my hug and we both unravel our bodies. This was the first time I noticed how obvious the foot of height he held against me was, because I looked up at him and he looked down. I smiled.

"Okay... bye," I murmured before striding out of the room.

                                                  ---------------------------------------------------               

I found Alby sitting with Newt in an undercover sitting area beside the kitchens. Minho, Chuck, and Thomas all hung nearby.

"Sit Eleanor," he instructed, patting the spot on the log between him and Newt. As I sat down Gally followed in behind me and leaned on a neighbouring tree to listen.

"First of all, are you okay?" he murmured while rubbing his face in his hands as if he had a hundred other more important things to worry about than my well-being. That was probably true.

"Yeah, I'm fine... What happened to him?"

"It's called the changing, it's what happens when someone gets stung," he explained darkly.

"By a griever?" I breathed.

He nodded before moving closer and shifting his body to face me front on.

"Listen... we haven't been able to get a clear word out of Ben since it happened, you know he's not making any sense. And it's only going to get worse. The infection is spreading. He's dangerous. What did he say to you?" he murmured.

"Um, he said that he saw me and that this is all my fault."

I took a deep breath.

"I don't understand... How could any of this be my fault," I croaked, my voice breaking and my eyes starting to brim with tears. I felt Newt's hand on my knee, comforting me. Alby didn't respond, instead, he sighed and got up from his chair.

"Alby?" I asked.

"Could just be a case of the wrong person, wrong time. He could have attacked anyone," he sighed while walking away.

"Alby!" I barked, standing up. Newt quickly did the same with his hand on my wrist. He gave me a look that said, 'Don't push him'.

"Get some rest," Alby spoke over his shoulder before disappearing behind the kitchens.

I let out an aggravated breath before yanking my wrist out of Newt's grasp.

"You okay El?" Tom asked.

I spun on my heel and stormed away from the boys.

"Come on Ellie," Gally soothed trying to grab my wrist, but I swatted him away and continued away from the group.

I heard Newt's voice behind me as he spoke to the others.

"Leave it Gally, she'll come round..."