Chapter 11 - Boom

Song - Walkin' After Midnight (Patsy Cline)

We followed the girl in a sprint, flying down corridors and flights of stairs. And then the strangest thing happened. We heard... music. A bluesy, jazz tune started to echo through the halls of the building. The girl we followed didn't seem shocked so Newt, Thomas, and I did the same, hoping the boys behind us didn't falter. A woman started to sing over the speakers.

I go out walkin' after midnight
Out in the moonlight
Just like we used to do, I'm always walkin'
After midnight, searchin' for you (wa-wa-walking, wa-wa-walking)

As we reached the top of a set of stairs we heard Jorge's voice, making my spine stiffen,

"Brenda!"

We almost crashed into him at the top. His wicked sneer had disappeared and was replaced with a serious but determined expression.

I walk for miles along the highway

"We don't have much time! Let's go, let's go, let's go!" he bellowed while leading us to the end of the room and pushing open two massive doors, letting the cool night air flood in. The drop-off was enormous as we were almost at the top floor, but a rope leading from our position to a neighboring building caught my attention.

After midnight, searchin' for you

"Oh shit," I muttered. A long-forgotten fear of being too far off the ground flooded into my brain. I guess once they wiped my memories, my old fears also disappeared too. Because this would have never terrified me before. I think Frypan must have agreed because he murmured,

"Oh, you gotta be kidding me,"

"Plan B hermano, you kids want to get to the Right Arm? I'll lead you to them. But you're gonna owe me," Jorge warned while grabbing a rope handle, pulling it down, and launching out the door along the rope, "Follow me!"

All watched him fly down the rope. Brenda grabbed another rope,

"All right! Let's go! Come on!" She shouted while holding out the rope for one of us to grab.

Maybe he's cryin' for me

"Go, everyone. Go!" Thomas leaped into action, "Minho you first," Minho stepped forward and grabbed the rope. With a deep inhale he jumped out the window, disappearing in the darkness of night.

"Aris, come on!"

Aris went. I slowly melted further to the back of the group.

And as the skies turn gloomy

Then Frypan went.

Night winds whisper to me

Then Teresa.

I'm lonesome as I can be

It was my turn next. Brenda handed me a rope but I didn't go.

"Ella go!" Thomas yelled.

"I- I can't," My gaze didn't leave the edge, looking down at how far the fall to the ground would be.

Thomas's eyes widened, suddenly remembering all the times before the maze that this had been a problem. Newt looked at us both confused, not understanding the looks we were giving each other.

He grabbed the sides of my face.

"Ella, you can do this okay? Just because you remember this fear doesn't mean it still is relevant. You've done so many more scarier fucking things since then. You've changed. You're stronger. Come on, we're right behind you," He promised, before placing my hands on the rope and squeezing them shut.