Chapter 3 - Plan

Song - Evergreen (Richy Mitch & The Coal Miners)

"Hey, you going in?" Brenda asked me as she walked past the room the rest of my friends had gathered for an emergency meeting. I was leaning against the wall just beside the doorway. I looked out to the night sky. The stars were glittering especially bright tonight. Ironic. 

"Yeah, I just needed a minute," I sighed.

"You wanna talk about it?" She asked while leaning against the part of the wall beside me.

"Not really,"

"Come on El... I literally told you last night about everything with..." She looked around before leaning in closer and lowering her voice, "With Fry, so you owe me,"

I inhaled a short breath.

"Are you seriously guilt-tripping me into telling you?"

"Maybe," She grinned.

"Ugh fine... its just... I don't think we can get Min back... I've thought about it a lot, about every possible plan but... I just don't think it will work. I don't know how to tell Thomas because he is so set on rescuing him, and Newt... Newt was beside himself after this one fell through. I don't think either of them can leave him behind but... we could've died out there. Any of us. We all had close calls so who knows what will happen if we try one more time but... it's Minho. He has done so much for all of us. For me. He saved me. So, I can't leave him behind either. Even if Vince tried to stop us... I don't think we can..."

She nodded slowly.

"It's a lot, isn't it?" I chuckled airily looking back out to the night sky.

"Maybe... but it all makes sense," She affirmed, "Come on, we ain't gonna solve any problems out here,"

I smiled at her before as grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. And she pulled me gently into the room. Vince, Newt, and Thomas all leaned on a center table containing a map illuminated by a lamp. Fry and Harriet stood a little behind them, we just caught the last of Thomas's sentence.

"We take everyone who can fight. Follow the roads where we can. We can make it back within a week,"

I knew what he was talking about. He had shown me before. Brenda situated herself alongside Fry. He gave her a warm smile as she stopped beside him. And I walked over beside Newt and leaned against the table next to him looking at the point in the map Thomas pointed at.

Vince shook his head,

"A week? It took us six months to get here. We got over 100 kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever after what we just pulled. You wanna wander off to some random point on the map. You don't even know what's there," he hissed.

"I do,"

A voice echoed from behind Thomas. Jorge appeared in the doorway.

"It's been a few years, but I've been there. The Last City. That's what WICKED called it. It was their whole base of operations. If that city is still standing, that's the last place you wanna go, hermano. That's the lion's den," He muttered while coming to stand beside Vince.

Thomas argued,

"It's nothing we haven't done before-"

"Yeah, with months of planning, and reliable information, the element of surprise, none of which we have now," Vince interrupted.

"Vince, I've thought this through. Would you just hear me out?" Tom tried,

"The last time we went off half-cocked... I lost everything! You remember that?" Vince fumed.