Chapter 10 - City

Song - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John) 

"Stay close to me," Gally murmured into my ear. I looked up at him but he was already opening the hidden door and casually strolling into a crowd of people all walking in one direction. Thomas, Newt, and I all followed suit.

Immediately I noticed the way people dressed. Formal. Clean. It looked as if these people hadn't even been touched by what lay in the outside world. Except many wore surgical masks to cover their mouths.

"Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew. Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance. Wicked is good," A female voice echoed through the street.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

I tried to keep my eyes forward on Gally's back to not draw any attention to myself.

I couldn't help glancing at the buildings around us. 

They were... something from the future. Massive glass windows and screens with messages about the 'people's safety'. We passed checkpoints where people lined up to be scanned by Wicked soldiers.

Maybe it was not the heaven the outside people made it out to be.

"Infection checks. All you gotta do is sneeze around here and you get kicked out," Gally muttered to the three of us, "That's the price of paradise I guess..."

We separated from the crowd and headed up an empty flight of stairs. And as we reached the top, I couldn't help my mouth fall open at the sight.

Skyscrapers.

Massive fucking skyscrapers lit up like stars. Thousands of lights glittering in the night sky.

We all stopped to stare at the view. 

There was a beat of silence.

"This is a long way from the glade," Newt marveled.

"You can say that again," I breathed not taking my eyes off the sight.

"Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew. Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance. Wicked is good," The voice repeated.

"Yeah, we better get off the streets. And I know it's hard but... try and act like you've seen it before," Gally advised raising his eyebrows before heading down another flight of steps.

Thomas, Newt, and I all glanced at each other.

I shook my head while following him and I heard the boys behind me.

As we walked further away from the heart of the city it became almost a ghost town. Except police cars roaming the streets.

We were about to cross a main road when Gally put his hand out in front of me,

"Wait,"

We heard the siren. So we jumped into an alley between two buildings. The flashing police car passed.

"Okay... come on," Gally instructed before breaking into a run. The three of us bolted to catch up and as we reached the other side, we pushed our backs against the window of a different building. We watched another security car drive straight past us.

"They've definitely upped security... I'm guessing you shanks had something to do with that," Gally huffed.

He looked at the three of us. I couldn't help a small smile reach my lips. He let out a breath, chuckling slightly.