Chapter 16 - Movement

Song - Fear (Current Joys)

I rolled my neck around, cringing at the tightness. I guess sleeping on the ground wasn't the best decision. In more ways than one. As Gally and I walked back to camp at dawn, everyone was still asleep... except for Minho and Thomas because they were heading into the maze. Minho had to stifle a laugh, but Thomas just rolled his eyes. When Gally had his back turned to the pair I stuck out my middle finger at them. They found that very amusing. I quickly whispered into Gally's ear,

"I'll see you at breakfast... okay?" He looked over at the pair of boys and nodded.

I hurried over to the pair, stopping when I was just in front, and crossed my arms across my chest.

"If you guys die, I swear I'm going to kill you," I warned.

"We'll be fine... I'll look after little Tommy here," Minho chuckled,

"Good, you better..." I swallowed before smiling weakly. They returned the smile with grim nods before turning and walking towards the entrance.

"Wait!" I called rushing over to them and pulling them both into a hug.

"Please... just... be careful," I murmured into their shoulders. Minho squeezed me tight, and Thomas rubbed my back,

"We will... we promise," Tom reassured.

I quickly let go of the pair and cleared my throat.

"Okay.... Well, go on then," I breathed motioning towards the maze beyond.

They both gave me one last weak smile before turning and heading for the maze. I watched as they stood by the entrance. I watched as the doors opened. And I watched as they ran inside and disappeared beyond my sight.

I quickly wiped away a lone tear with my sleeve and shook my head at myself. I can't keep acting like this. I need to toughen the fuck up. At this point, I am basically asking for the other Gladers to single me out.

A noise behind me made me jump and I spun but was pleasantly surprised to see my favourite blonde boy.

"Hey Newt," I sighed as he stood next to me, staring out into the maze.

"Hey El," he answered back glumly.

"What's the matter?" I looked at his face. Even more tired than yesterday. He does well to hide it but... I don't know, I just seem to be able to read him better then the others. He let go of a deep breath,

"Look I know it's none of my business but..." he stopped.

"But what?" I interrupted.

"I just want you to be careful. Gally tends to be really moody and can be quite... uh... rude and I just don't want to see you getting hurt if he did something completely out of line,"

I opened my mouth in shock. That is not what I thought he was going to say. I stared back out to the horizon trying to choose my next choice of words.

"Um," I cleared my throat, "I guess I understand where you guys are coming from with the whole Tom thing but... Gally isn't like you say he is... when it's just me he's sweet and thoughtful. And kind, I just think he doesn't want to look weak in front of you all,"

"Okay, just... be careful, for me?" He said quietly, staring at the ground.

"Don't worry Newtie, I will," I chuckled, ruffling his hair in the process. "But... for me to do that, you need to do something for me in return," I teased.

"And what's that?" He pondered with a confused smile.

"Tell me what's up with you and Tom," I whispered, looking around to make sure no one was listening.