Chapter 17 - Betrayal

Song - Gilded Lily (Cults)

"Hold up... sister?" Fry exclaimed in response to Newt's new revelation. I looked to Minho with a sheepish grin, but his mouth just gaped open in shock.

"Yeah... yeah we're siblings," I affirmed trying to contain my chuckles.

Minho shook his head in confusion,

"Wha- How? When did you find out?" Minho stuttered.

"When El got her memories back in the maze," Newt answered for me, 

"Wait all the way back then? And you didn't tell us?" Minho hissed.

"Well, there hasn't exactly been a good time, has there?" I argued in response. 

"Yeah, I guess... but brother and sister? God, you would think nothing would surprise me after everything, but I was not expecting that,"  Minho sighed.

We all nodded in agreement. Newt sat down on one of the rocks beside Minho on the cliff we stood atop. I came and sat on the rock in front of him, which sat slightly lower so I could lean my head back onto my brother's chest. He wrapped one arm around my shoulders and his other hand played with my hair softly.

We sat in silence until we heard the rocks crunching and tumbling as Thomas climbed up to the top. He glanced at me and Newt before raising an eyebrow. I grinned at him.

"So, I'm presuming you already knew Thomas?" Minho grumbled,

"Yeah... yeah I did," He answered sheepishly.

Thomas sent a look to Newt. One of regret and apology. Newt stiffened but didn't move from his position with me. Thomas sat on the rock beside him... a meter away.

God, I hope they get over this quickly because I couldn't imagine these two not talking.

"How's Brenda?" Frypan asked quietly.

"She's okay... the serum Mary got from me worked... but it won't last forever,"

Fry nodded before looking out into the horizon.

We all sat in silence.

It felt strange, having this tiny moment of... peace? After all this time. We were almost free. We, meaning the very few that survived. So many were dead. Some who we wouldn't have made it here without.

"I wish Alby could have seen all this," I murmured softly.

"And Winston," Fry agreed.

"And Gally," Newt added quietly. I looked at him in surprise but couldn't help my lips upturning slightly.

Thomas didn't flinch from the name. None of the boys did anything like that. Frypan even nodded in agreement. Minho caught my eye and smiled softly as if remembering all the good times we had had with the boy I loved. The first time we all came together around the fire, laughing at each other, drunk and giddy on the mystery brown liquid. When he hugged me for the first time in that med hut. Wrapping his builder arms around my back so I could breathe in his scent and feel his warmth. And when he kissed me in that forest. And I kissed him back.

Tears filled my eyes as some broken part inside me started to sense the beginning of... healing.

"And Chuck," Tom concluded softly, fidgeting with the wooden totem Chuck gave him in his hands.

"He'd be proud of you, you know, Tommy," Newt expressed.

Tom didn't look up but nodded,

"Yeah," He murmured.