Chapter 4 - Friends

Song - This Side of Paradise (Coyote Theory)

Thomas and Newt strutted over to my position by the fire, before sitting down on either side of me. I rolled my eyes.

I had sat on a log by the fire that was close enough to the hoard of boys in a wrestling circle so I could watch in amusement. But I was also far enough away so they wouldn't notice me staring. No one had beaten Gally yet. He was... so strong. It was a sight to see him dominate against the other boys. I quite enjoyed it actually. He had glanced my way a few times, after throwing yet another boy from the circle, as if saying,

Did you see that?

I kept quickly looking away though. I didn't want to get caught staring.

Newt offered me a brownish drink from a jar, but I shook my head. He took a swig before handing it in front of me, back to Thomas. 

"Enjoying the party?" Thomas asked.

I shrugged my shoulders in response.

"You are the guest of honor. You should get out there," Newt added.

I snorted.

"I don't think the boys would appreciate me disturbing their very serious-looking wrestling match."

"What? You scared?" Thomas teased so I shoved him.

"No, I just don't really feel like being thrown on the ground by Gally actually."

"Hah! As if he would even touch you." Newt murmured.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I turned to face Newt.

"Well, I have never seen him so... Tommy?" he handballed over to Thomas.

Tommy. That's a cute pet name.

"We've never seen him so... nice?" he added, shrugging his shoulders.

"He's not a real big fan of new greenies usually so we were just a bit surprised at how friendly he was in the med hut," Newt explained.

"And he's been looking at you all day too," Tom added.

"Who hasn't?" I remarked.

They both chuckled before seeing my solemn face, so they stopped. Tom puts his hand on my shoulder.

"It'll die down, if not then I'll personally beat up all of them," Tom promised.

I chuckled and smiled at the floor.

"I think I'm gonna go to bed," I sighed while standing up.

"Oh! Okay, we'll walk you to your hammock," Newt offered also standing up.

"That's okay Chuck showed me where it was this morning," I explained.

"No it's fine, we don't want you getting in the middle of any of the fighting," Thomas insisted while too standing up.

I looked at the wrestling match and the flying bodies being sent by Gally. Maybe they were right.

"Fine, come on then," I sighed and the boys started walking so I followed behind them.

I followed them past the bonfire and the yelling hoard of boys trying to defeat Gally.

I was almost through but before I could react, a stumbling body smashed into my side, pushing me to the ground on my hands and knees. I felt the throbbing of my nose, so I instantly clutched it. When I pulled my hand away, I could see the cherry-red blood covering my fingertips.

Shit.

"What is it sweetheart? Don't know how to fight?" A boy yelled through the jeers of the crowd. Everyone laughed at that.