Chapter 21 - Death

Song - Don't Blame Me (Taylor Swift)

In the absolute blackness, out of instinct, I reached for the closest person. Minho. I latched onto his arm, trying to get my eyes to adjust. Then I heard a creaking groan on the other end of the short tube, and a tiny strip of light dripped into the room as a circular metal door opened. Chuck had opened it. I let go of Minho to follow after the kid through the door. The rest of the boys followed suit. As I hopped out of the tunnel, I was met with the strangest sight. A corridor. A seemingly endless cement hallway, lined with all sorts of pipes and wires.

As we crowded into the hall, a sensor must have gone off because, with a clunk, the lights turned on in cannon, one after the other, starting in front and then continuing behind us. Showing that this tunnel goes two ways. I looked at Thomas.

He looked at me, then Newt, and then Minho before he nodded and started to walk forward... and we followed him.

As we trekked through the corridor, further and further, no one spoke. Newt and Thomas led from the front, hands gently brushing each other with every stroke of the arm. I followed behind, in step with Minho. I didn't like the quiet. It reminded me of the awful silence that filled my skull at my lowest points. Which then reminded me of everything that I had lost. Everything I have seen. When it's quiet, I have the space in my brain to mull it over. I tried to focus on each step in front of the other. Ignoring the sharp pains from the bruises after the roof collapse.

A small neon green glow captured my attention, so I looked up from my feet. A door. With a big neon sign above it that read,

Exit

We all stopped. It surely couldn't be this easy.

"Seriously?" Frypan sighed.

Thomas stepped up to the door and after a deep breath... he opened it.

We followed him through the door what I was met with made me want to throw up. Bodies. Dead bodies.

Strawn on the floor. Blood soaked into the pristine white lab coats each person wore. It felt like we had been transported to a different dimension. The floor was tiled. The walls were painted. LED lights hung, or rather dangled now, from the ceiling. I'm sure it would have been a nice place but not anymore. Smoke streamed into the rooms, lights sputtered in and out of life. A steady alarm rang, and yellow lights flashed in warning.

As we walked further into the room, I saw to my left a glass wall, and behind it lay two limp bodies lying under sheets. Pools of blood soaked through the white, once again. You could just see the feet peeking out from under the sheets. I stared, my hand covering my mouth. I felt Newt's hand on my arm, and he gently pushed me to keep moving forward.

We slowly crept through what looked to be some sort of headquarters. Advanced computers, screens, and all kinds of technology were smashed and destroyed but some still made beeping noises and shone with numbers, statistics, and images. Shattered glass showered the ground like snow, and dead bodies still lay in almost every corner. The room was in the shape of a hexagon and had a slightly raised center, and stairs leading up to the stage. And video screens. Video screens showing the Glade. They had cameras... watching us in the glade.

"So they were watching us," Newt breathed angrily, his voice echoing around the room. "This whole time,"

I could see a few boys on the screen, mulling around the maze. I didn't look for Gally. I don't think I could have been able to bear seeing him on the opposite end of the screen.

The most eery part of all this... was that for some reason it looked and felt familiar. And I think Thomas was thinking the same thing because we both found ourselves standing opposite a long table with a glass screen in between each other. I looked at him. He looked at me. Flashes of the dreams entered my mind. Thomas is exactly where he stands now. But then men in uniform dragged him away. Someone was holding me back as I screamed and screamed. Clawing against them to try and get to Thomas. Strange. I don't remember that from my dreams. It had just appeared in my head. Like being in this room is bringing back... memories.