Chapter 5 - View

Song - Willow Tree March (The Paper Kites)

As the car screeched to a halt beside us, Brenda popped out the top of the roof and started shooting the cranks from both sides.

"Guys! Get in!" She ordered.

All four of us clambered into the back of the truck, Thomas helping me to keep the pressure off my ankle. Once Newt was beside me, Thomas hollered,

"Go Jorge! Go!"

"Go!" Brenda ordered while sitting back down in the front seat.

"Hang on!" Jorge bellowed before we zoomed out of the tunnel, hitting any cranks in our way. The sunlight blinded us as we left the darkness behind and drove further and further away.

"I'm impressed...  you guys lasted almost an entire day without us," Jorge chortled from the driver's seat.

We ignored his remark as Tom and Newt climbed over to the backseat, leaving me and Fry in the tray. As they settled and let out a sigh of relief Thomas clutched Newt's hand.

"You okay?" Tom murmured.

"Yeah... I'm okay. El how's the ankle?" Newt asked while shifting to look at me.

The intense aching pain had returned to my ankle after the adrenaline had left my body.

"I don't know..." I breathed.

I shifted and bent my leg in front of me. I pulled off my black boots and rolled up my cargo pants to reveal my ankle. I gently prodded the skin but quickly flinched away.

"What did you do this time El?" Brenda sighed teasingly.

"It's not broken, just sprained or hopefully just rolled," I breathed, "Jorge do you have a med kit in here somewhere?"

"Yeah, under Bren's seat,"

Newt reached down and grabbed the little white box. He passed it to me. I pulled out a roll of bandage and wrapped it tightly around my foot and ankle. I grimaced through the shooting pains running up my entire leg. We didn't have time for this. I can't be a wuss now. Once I finished I tore the bandage with my teeth and taped it down.

I looked up and noticed Brenda holding an aggravated stare right between Thomas and Newt behind them. But not at me. At Frypan.

He smiled sheepishly but she wasn't having any of it.

"I'm sorry, we didn't want to bring you guys into this," Tom interrupted.

"Yeah... this is a suicide mission..." Fry reasoned. 

Newt put his hand on Fry's shoulder and faced Brenda.

"What these two are trying to say is thank you for saving us," Newt chuckled.

"Your welcome," Brenda emphasized before rolling her eyes and sitting back down in her seat. Frypan gulped and shook his head.

Newt chuckled,

"Shut up Newt," Fry hissed under his breath.

"Hey, don't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is too," Jorge explained grimly.

"Yeah, unless they figured out another way to keep the cranks out,"

The comment came from my brother.

I looked up at Newt and saw him staring out to the horizon on the left. I looked across and my heart stopped.

Jorge stopped the car abruptly.