Chapter 12 - Revelation

Song - Burning Pile (Mother Mother)

Walking in the med hut was like entering a dream. Boys barking orders at one another. The moans of Alby. People moving everywhere. But all this noise was being blocked out of my own ears, perhaps a way my brain was trying to cope with it all. All I could hear was the hollow ringing that appeared every time my brain began to shut down...

I don't have time for this now though. And in a sudden rushing noise, the sound returned.

"Get me a bandage for his head!" Jeff roared.

"Give him some room!"

"There must be something we can do!"

The shouts joined together to create a chorus of fear and intensity.

I couldn't handle it anymore.

"Anyone who isn't me, Jeff, Clint, Minho, or Gally... out!" I barked. They all looked up at me with surprise, and for a moment I thought they would ignore me and carry on with their bickering, but with a glum expression they all filed out in a few minutes. When the last one left, I released a relieved breath, before moving to sit beside Alby. Clint and Jeff both standing on the opposite side, just staring. They had no idea what to do.

Alby wasn't unconscious but he wasn't exactly conscious either. His eyes were closed but he kept groaning and whimpering while squirming weakly. I gently lifted his shirt to find the sting. Just like Ben's... there was an epicentre. Just a deep puncture wound. But I could fix that up in two minutes. The real concern was the black veins crawling out of the wound, like a spider web strung by a venomous insect. The veins rose and fell rapidly as Alby's hoarse breaths filled the room. Everyone was silent. Watching me.

I placed the back of my hand on his forehead. He was hot. At least there was something I could do about that. I stood and walked to the bench full of random herbs and medical equipment. I grabbed a cloth and dunked it in a basin of water. I rung it out and poured a few drops of eucalyptus oil into the towel.

Once back to his side, I placed the towel over Alby's eyes and forehead, this seemed to calm him as his groans settled for soft whimpers.

"How much time do we have?" I murmured, not breaking my eyes from Alby.

"Without the antidote... a few days. Tops," Jeff breathed.

"Antidote?" I turned to him.

"Yeah, a year ago when Minho was stung, an antidote was in the supply boxes when a new greenie came up," Clint jumped in.

"Do you reckon it will happen again?"

"It didn't with Ben and a new greenie is not meant to come up for weeks so I wouldn't get your hopes up," Gally grumbled from the corner. I turned to face him. His face was sour. Tense. I hadn't seen him like that before. At that moment, Newt and Thomas enter the room. Gally's face turns even colder when he turns to Newt,

"We need a meeting," Gally fumed.

"Now?" Thomas asked.

"Now," he seethed not even looking in Thomas's direction.

"Fine, Clint stays with Alby. El, come with us," Newt breathed.

There's something different in the room. As if a switch was flipped and the warm energy was shut off. And a chilling breeze blows through the door.

I slowly rise before heading for the door. Thomas, Newt, and Gally followed suit behind me. I could almost feel the dirty glare Gal gave the others. What the fuck am I missing?