Chapter 20 - Promise

Song - Can't Catch Me Now (Olivia Rodrigo)

"What do we do now?" Frypan murmured.

I sat on a broken piece of concrete. Like most of the others. Some like Newt, Harriet, Vince and Thomas busied themselves with tasks like counting the dead and sorting through scrap equipment to avoid the overwhelming feeling of doom. I don't blame them; I couldn't bring myself to even think about the events of last night one more time.

I sat, resting my arm, which the throbbing pain had finally set into now, while listening to Vince respond.

"Well, we pick up what's left of us. We stick to the plan. We get you kids to the safe haven. Then we start over, I guess," He sighed.

A beat passed. And then Thomas slung a bag over his shoulder and stood before us firmly.

"I'm not going with you," He revealed.

For a moment everyone was silent.

"What?" Newt murmured standing up to face him.

"I made a promise to Minho. I wouldn't leave him behind. I have to go after him,"

"Hey, kid, look around you. All right? WICKED just kicked our ass. You think about where you're headed," Vince perplexed.

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me," He assured. Newt took a step closer to his boyfriend.

"Tommy, listen to me. I've known Minho for... Well, as long as I can remember. So, if there was any way that we could help him... trust me, I would be up there standing next to you. This, what you're talking about... is impossible,"

"More like suicide," Jorge jumped in solemnly, Brenda standing beside him.

"Maybe. But I know what I'm supposed to do now. It's not just about Minho. It's about all of us. It's about everyone WICKED's ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop... They'll never stop, so I'm gonna stop them... I'm gonna kill Ava Paige..."

A silence fell again as everyone took in his words of purpose. I had heard his speeches like this before but now... for once I understood why we all needed Thomas so badly. Because if there is one thing I know is this god forsaken world... is that I would follow this boy anywhere.

"Wait, Thomas..." I sighed. He looked at me, expecting me to try and convince him to give up on his mission but I slung my backpack over my good shoulder and smirked, "You really think I'm going to let you go on your own?"

His eyes brightened and his lips started to upturn.

"I have to admit... I would like some revenge," Harriet admitted beside Vince.

Thomas then looked at Newt. Newt sighed while shaking his head.

"You know, we're with you. I'm with you. Wherever you go,"

Thomas smiled gently at his love. Thomas closed the gap between him and wrapped his arms around my brother. After a moment enveloped in each other's arms, as if none of us even existed, they let go of each other. Thomas placed a soft kiss on Newt's cheek as he kept his arm around the blonde boy.

Vince rolled his eyes and we all laughed at his expression,

"Well... that's a great speech kid... So what's your plan?"

We all looked to him. To our leader. Our brother.

He wore that same expression I could recognise anywhere on him.

Sure determination.

Newt looked up at him with such love and adoration in his eyes it brought me so much happiness. I looked at Brenda and Jorge. They way the smirked at each other at the thought of even more action. Looked at Vince, Harriet, Frypan and all the rest of us. Ready for action. Ready to get our brother back.

And in that moment, I made a promise to Minho. To myself. And to fucking Wicked. I will be getting him back. I will be getting my revenge. I'm done with them taking everything from me and not doing anything about it. My parents, Alby, Chuck, Gally, Winston. It's my turn to take something from them. 

And you haven't fucking seen the last of me.