Chapter 6 - Cranks

Song - Black Out Days (Phantogram)

Minho lifted the roller door to what seemed to be an old living space for people because makeshift beds lined each side. We spread out, admiring all the equipment that would be unbelievably valuable to us. Fry found an old LED lantern and turned it on, a steady white light illuminating the room. I swiped a torch off one of the benches and turned it on. Thomas lifted a jacket from the ground and shook the dust off it.

"Let's pack some of this stuff up. Anything you think you might need. We'll split up, see what else we can find. Minho and I'll have a look around," He instructed as he started to head out back into the corridor.

"Thomas," Newt said while throwing him a torch, "Be careful,"

Tom smiled slyly,

"I will be," he assured.

Minho rolled his eyes at the pair before heading out down one of the corridors. I watched Newt trail his eyes along the pair until they turned the corner.

I could tell him the truth now. Right now. But first I'll grab some stuff.

Winston and Aris also left to go the opposite way. Leaving just the four of us in the room.

I examined the space. Clothes, food, water containers, beds, and toys. I was drawn to a corner with a bed with what seemed to have women's clothes on top. Amongst the pile, I picked jeans, a grey T-shirt, and a greenish jacket. I popped behind a corner and quickly got changed. I knew only Fry, Teresa and Newt remained in the same room, so I wasn't worried. I removed my belongings -all three of them (my compass, lighter, and knife)- into my new jacket pockets. I found a backpack and emptied its contents. Among it, I found an empty water bottle, pocketknife, first aid kit, and a few other bits and pieces. I placed them all back into the bag neatly and strung it over my shoulder. As I made my way further into the room, a shiny object caught my eye under one of the beds.

I bent down and reached for it under the bed and grabbed what seemed to be cold metal. As I pulled it out, I almost dropped it in surprise. A knife. A beautiful, sharp, sleek knife. Very different to the one that was in my pocket right now. But although I knew that the knife I held would do some serious damage... some part of me couldn't part with the knife that... Gally had given me. I swallowed and placed the knife back onto the bed for someone else to grab. I knew it was dumb, but to me, it felt like betrayal. And I had already betrayed Gally in every other way. Instead, I found a heavy metal crowbar nearby and clutched that in my hand.

I slowly drifted down the room, further and further away from the boys. I felt Teresa's presence follow behind me. As I turned a corner, I jumped a mile when I was met with a group of old mannequins. I must have screamed loudly because Newt called out,

"You alright?"

"Yeah... yeah I'm good," I breathed as I shook my head at myself and kept moving forward. I used my torch to illuminate the objects around me. Just more beds and clothes. I stopped to admire a teddy bear sitting on one of the beds. Teresa kept walking until she came to a halt beside me.

"So... what's up with you?" she asked quietly.

"What do you mean?" I asked, looking back at her.

"Well, last time I saw you, you were frantically running around our lab, trying to explain that you had destroyed everything we had worked towards so you would be sent into the maze," She explained.

I chuckled in response but although there was a hint of sarcasm in her voice, her eyes looked deathly serious, so I cleared my throat.

"Yeah, well that was a long time ago. And a lot of things have happened since then,"