Chapter 13 - Wreck

Song - Another Love (Tom Odell)

As the veins dissolved on Alby's chest, sighs of relief echoed through the room. I had run through the door, Newt, Thomas, Minho, and Gally right behind me and much to Clint's protests and Alby's squirms, I whipped off the cap and stabbed the vial of blue liquid into his upper arm. Immediately our leader had relaxed, and a sigh of relief also escaped his mouth before he fell into a deep sleep.

"Thank god for that," Newt breathed, running his hand through his mop of sandy blonde hair.

I sat back down on an adjacent bed to Alby, catching my breath. Gally didn't say anything, didn't even glance at me as he left the room. I stood up opening my mouth but closed it again. I let him leave. Thomas rolled his eyes. I watched Alby's heavy, but finally controlled breaths as he slept, ignoring what just happened.

"What about the note?" Jeff reminded.

"We'll worry about that later," Newt answered, not breaking his gaze from Alby.

"I think you should worry about it now," Thomas rebutted. This made Newt look up.

"We've got enough to deal with for the moment," He murmured to the boy, Newt's hand a millimeter from Thomas's. Someone wouldn't notice the tiny movement of Newt's pinkie that brought their skin together unless you were looking for it.

"He's right Newt," Jeff agreed. "If the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we're gonna last?" The last part of his sentence made my spine shiver.

"No one said that" Newt choked. He swallowed, his throat bobbing as he devised his next choice of words.

"Let's not jump to any conclusions, let's just... wait until Alby wakes up and then..." His gaze reached mine for a moment, hitching my breath.

"Then we can figure this out," he concluded. No one argued over his decision.

"Okay," Thomas muttered before striding out of the room. Newt faltered slightly,

"And where are you going?" he asked.

"Back into the maze," Tom responded bluntly. We all looked at the boy, taken aback. Newt's mouth opened to say something, but Minho placed a hand on his shoulder before nodding in silent agreement and following Thomas.

Newt stood frozen. His eyes on Alby but I knew his mind was elsewhere. There was something about him. I felt like I just got him. And he got me. Like we shared the same wavelength. Maybe we knew each other before the maze... the thought hadn't really crossed my mind until now. I walked to his side.

"Newt, what does it mean when it says I'm the last one ever?" I asked quietly. He looks up at me.

"It means no more new greenies each month." He responded bluntly.

A moment passed when neither he nor I said anything. But I need to know.

"But why me,"

The blonde boy looked at me. His eyes filling with the same concern that consumes every boy in this Glade. Whether that concern is for me and what this could mean, or for the damage that I could have caused... I could not tell. Except, there was something different with Newt. The way the usual sparkle of determination has been snuffed out. His eyes looked tired. Sad.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," Newt breathed, and although the dark circles under his eyes seemed even more prominent than usual, he still looked at me with a gentle smile that made my shaking hands relax and a weak smile reach my lips.

"I'm going to go see if Tom is okay... you should too," I suggested.

"He doesn't listen to me,"

"He does listen. He just... is too brave for his own good,"