Chapter 20 - Journey

Song - Take Your Time (Vance Joy)

Gally 

She didn't wake up for 11 hours.

That was the most excruciating 11 hours of my life.

The minute she let go of me she was with Newt, giving him the cure. And then she saved Thomas. She was a blur of bandages and medicines as she worked and worked until we got back to base. She didn't leave his side until he was on the boat with an entire team of surgeons.

And once she did... she basically collapsed onto the ground.

The doctors said it was probably the shock, but she also suffered injuries to the head from when she was thrown onto the cement on the roof.

Newt, Thomas, and her lay in three medical beds side by side. The others left after 8 hours... once the doctor promised the three of them were all going to survive. But I didn't leave. I couldn't bear to sleep.

Not with the thought that I could wake up and lose her.

She looked peaceful as she slept... her face clean from blood and dirt, her golden blonde hair gently lying on her shoulders, her chest rising and falling steadily.

I liked the peace. For once in my life, I felt a moment of peace.

Because she was there, and I was here. And nothing was ever going to touch her again.

I will never let it.

As her eyes gently opened, showing those gorgeous chocolate brown eyes, I smiled and grasped her hand.

She rubbed her eye with her other hand and yawned. God, she looked adorable.

"What time is it?" She asked softly looking around at her surroundings. I looked at the clock.

"4:35, in the afternoon," I answered softly. She fell back into her pillow and smiled at me softly.

"Where are we?"

"On the boat,"

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion... and then I watched her eyes widen as she remembered everything that happened. Her hand covered her mouth, but I tightened my grasp on the other and moved from the chair I was sitting on, onto my knees beside her.

"It's okay... you're safe now. Remember? It's over,"

"Where's Newt and Thomas?" She asked firmly, ignoring my attempt to soothe her.

I motioned with my eyes behind her. She sat up and turned her head. Once she saw Newt and Thomas in the beds she started to climb out,

"It's okay love... they're both fine, thanks to you..."

She sighed with relief while lying back down and then continued,

"So we are heading for..."

"The safe haven," I finished for her,

She nodded slowly before swallowing and continuing,

"Can we go outside?"

I looked around us. No sign of any of the doctors or nurses.

"Yeah... okay, we can go see the others at the top," I responded quietly while helping her out of bed.

Her skin was pale and her moves were very timid... which was unlike her. With my arm around her waist, I led her out of the medical wing, and into the boat's deck.

The moment we stopped outside we were blasted with icy cold wind gushing straight at us.

We were in the middle of the ocean.

As we headed further down the deck we spotted a very familiar group of people.

"El!" Brenda scooped Eleanor into a bone-crushing hug.

"Hey Bren," she responded softly.

Brenda pulled away quickly and smiled at El's tired, but warm expression.

Then Minho hugged her tight.

Then Frypan.

Then Jorge.

And then we found Aris, Sonya, and Harriet helping Vince at the front of the boat.

"Ah! Perfect timing, you can just see the island on the horizon!" Vince chimed pointing forward.

I craned my eyes to see a spot of green in the distance.

Eleanor froze and her face went pale. I tightened my grip around her waist,

"What's the matter?" I asked her quietly,

"We did it," she breathed before looking up at me,

"It really is over,

Her eyes filled with tears, 

I smiled softly and pulled her closer into my body, wrapping my arms around her back.

"Yeah... it is..." I sighed.

She went silent for a moment before whispering.

"You saved me... didn't you?"

I inhaled a short breath,

"You saved everyone else,"

"But... you caught me..."

She looked up at me with those massive chocolate saucers. I brushed a lock of hair behind her ear before enveloping her in another hug.

"And I'm never letting go again..." I murmured into her ear. She squeezed her arms tighter around my middle. I held her close, sheltering her body from the icy wind as the island grew bigger and bigger on the horizon.

The others joined beside us. 

Minho, Brenda, Frypan, Aris, Harriet, Sonya, Jorge and Vince. 

We stood together, smelling the salty air and letting the icy wind rush past us. 

We were almost there...