Chapter 9 - Bond

Song - This Is Home (Cavetown)

As we walked to the group, I saw Newt and Thomas sitting with their back to the fire, against a log. They were close. Thomas brushed a lone lock of hair off Newt's forehead, behind his ear. Newt chuckled and slid his hand onto the inside of Tom's thigh while whispering something in his ear.

We walked up to the pair and immediately as they heard us, they pulled apart. I slid down onto the ground beside Newt and Gally came in beside me. I raised my eyebrows at both of them but decided not to say anything. Thomas cleared his throat before speaking,

"Look who it is,"

"Feeling better El?" Newt asked.

"Yeah, much better," I responded.

Newt hands me a jar of drink. This time I take up his offer and have a swig. I immediately spit it out in front of me. It was vile. Tasted like mud and metal at the same time. Sour and yet spicy. The boys laughed hysterically.

"What is that?!" I screeched.

"Hey! It's my special recipe," Gally explained.

"Hmmm special indeed," Thomas retorted.

Gally huffed at that.

Newt carefully grasped my wrist while admiring it.

"Looks better than it did this morning," he asserted,

"Wouldn't be so bad if you knew how to throw an actual punch," Thomas retorted.

I smack him in the back of the head. He cowers behind Newt.

"Well Tom, Gally is actually going to teach me,"

Both the boys look at each other and chuckle.

"Is he now?" Tom coaxed.

Gally gave them a look that could kill.

"What?" I puzzled,

"Nothing," Newt said before taking the jar of drink from me and taking another swig.

 "Where's Minho?" I asked while spinning around to see if I could spot him amongst the other boys. 

"I think I saw him and Alby talking in the hut near the kitchens," Gally answered. 

My smile slipped,

"Oh shit. I forgot about Alby. I better go apologise." I sighed while standing up. I step over the log and take a few steps before turning back to them.

"Make sure no one takes my seat," I ordered.

Thomas gave me a sarcastic thumbs-up. I rolled my eyes before tramping past the other boys.

One boy whom I didn't recognize wolf-whistled at me as I passed.

I give him the middle finger and a sarcastic smile in return. The other boys all laughed at the boy. I smiled triumphantly.

I entered one of the main huts and found Minho and Alby talking quietly. Both with somber expressions. They looked up when I entered.

"Oh uh, sorry. I can come back later..."

"No. It's okay. We're done here," Minho said while giving Alby a nod. Minho walked past and gave me a pat on the back and a grin. Alby leaned against a table and folded his arms across his chest.

I took a deep breath.

"Look Alby, sorry for snapping earlier. I guess I was just confronted with the whole situation. And I've only been here two days and I shouldn't have said anything. You're a great leader and you know what's best,"