Chapter 10 - Hang tight

Song - High Enough (K.FLay)

"Great idea Thomas... here what the man has to say. Really working out for us," Minho grumbled.

The blood rushing to my head made my vision blurry and hearing foggy. I wanted to punch Minho in the arm but could not reach with my feet tied up to the roof and body dangling over an at least fifty-metre drop. I wriggled, trying to give my brain some relief.

"Shut up Minho," I hissed.

"Maybe I can reach the rope," Tom suggested while using all his body strength to try and lift his upper body up to his feet. After a few exhausted grunts he fell back down to be vertical.

"Enjoying the view?" Jorge sang out from the level beside us.

"What the hell do you want?" Thomas snarled.

"That is the question... my men want to sell you to Wicked. Life has taught them to think small... I'm not like that," He claimed.

"Is it the blood that's rushing to my head or is this shank not making any sense?" Minho huffed.

I rolled my eyes.

"Tell me what you know about the right arm," He ordered.

"I thought you said they were ghosts?" Newt questioned from beside me.

"I happen to believe in ghosts," He smirked, "Especially when I hear them chattering on the airwaves,"

He waltzed over to the lever that was hoisting all of us to the roof. He wrapped his hand around the handle.

"You tell what you know now, and maybe we can make a deal," He suggested.

"We don't know much," Tom admitted. Jorge raised an eyebrow before pushing the lever forward.

We all screamed as we dropped a meter down.

"Hey!" I yelled as the shock of the drop made my bones shake. 

"Okay! Okay, all right. They're hiding in the mountains. And they attacked Wicked. They got out a bunch of kids. That's it. That's all we know," Thomas pleaded.

Jorge opened his mouth to respond but another male voice echoed through the room.

"Yo, Jorge,"

A gigantic man with arms and legs like tree trunks walked into the room,

"What's going on?" The man looked suspiciously around the room at us.

"Me and my new friends were just getting acquainted. We're done now," Jorge snarled.

"Hey, wait, you're not going to help us?" I scowled. He sneered in return.

"Don't worry hermana, we'll get you back to where you belong,"

He waltzed away, leaving the man behind, but gave one last passing thought,

"Hang tight,"

My blood boiled and the other man gave us one last sneer before stalking down the stairs.

We hung in silence for a moment. Then I sighed,

"Well fuck me,"

"You ready El?" Thomas asked

"Yep, just do it," I responded, preparing myself for the movement.

After much bickering and trial and error, we finally found a possible way out. If Thomas passed me to Minho and then Minho pushed me as hard as he could towards the edge, I could just reach a bar close to the lever.