Chapter Eighteen

Athanasia

The first thing I do when I wake up is scream. The scream could have been heard by everyone. Waking anyone that was sleeping.

I breathe heavily, eyes wide at the sight behind me.

The first person in my room is Nesta, it felt as if the door was going to fall off its hinges with the force she exerted. "Athy!"

Her eyes also went wide. She carefully approached me, taking in the sight of my body. Nesta sits on the edge of the bed a few inches away from me.

"Athy. Look at me." I rip my attention to her. "I'm here."

She wraps her arms as best she could around me, bringing me into a hug. I nuzzled my face into the crook of her neck.

The next person in my room is Azriel followed by Rhysand. Shock written on their faces.

White feather wings shredded through my nightgown. My hair, now fully bright white as it sticks to my skin.

"Seraphim." Rhys breathes out in shock.

My body quivers, trying to understand the word.

Seraphim? As in the people with the white wings that look like angels.

"Don't touch her wings." Rhys says looking to Nesta.

She just glares at him as if she is going to bite. Azriel just stares as if unsure of what to do with this new information. I pull away from Nesta's embrace looking at my new found wings.

"Can—can I be alone?" I stutter my words.

Nesta wants to retaliate but she closes her mouth and nods. She glares as she passes the two towards the door. They follow behind her.

"Az." I manage to breathe out softly.

I need him right now. I don't know what it is but he feels different to me now. Like I need him by me.

He turns his head to look at me, my eyes pleading for him.

Azriel then looks to Rhys, who nods, leaving the room.

Azriel slowly approaches me, sitting on the bed.

"Athy?" His voice, unsure.

I inch closer to him, dragging my wings along the bed.

"It's okay. You're going to be fine." He reassures, reaching for my hand.

Unintentionally, I flinch away from his touch. His face falls, but he tries again.

This time my body lets him. Softly, pulls me into his lap, careful to not touch my wings. I lean against his chest, my body still shaking.

"What—what did Rhys mean by seraphim?" I mumble.

"I think that is what you are. A light wielding seraphim." He whispers softly, as if he is scared of startling me.

I don't reply, just close my eyes.

He then lifts my chin, for me to look at him. Examining my new hair, as his eyes scatter all over my body to see if anything else changed.

"Do I look weird?"

"No, if anything you look more beautiful than before." He musters a smile.

"Do you think I can fly? Just like you." I question my eyes still on his.

"It might take some time but we have time, don't we? Young Illryian usually learn as soon as possible. I might take longer for you though." He explains, his voice so soothing to my ears.