Chapter Thirty-nine

Athanasia

"Here, Athy. How about you eat some food? It will help you feel better." Elain places a bowl of soup on the table where I sat. I didn't look at her as she did, only continuing to stare out into empty space.

I didn't feel like doing anything. My mind was too busy running from what I learned last night.

"I'm not hungry."

I wasn't.

"Athy." Nesta tries this time. "What's wrong?"

I didn't answer. Was this how Elain felt when she was Made? So lifeless and lost in her own mind.

My eyes opened up, taking in the little light there was around. My hands where chained in metal handcuffs, my powers no longer available for me to use.

A cloth limited my ability to speak, gagging my mouth. My feet were ice cold, only one slipper left on one of my feet. The other probably lost in the forest.

My head spun around, taking in the room where I was. It was short lived because someone entered the room.

The king.

My eyes narrowed on him, at the same time trying to calm my nerves. I was scared but I didn't want my tears to show just yet.

"It seems I didn't get the right sister. But maybe you are a better hostage." He scans me, landing his eyes on my hair. Maybe I should hide it again. It doesn't attract the right crowd.

"Tell me. What has the Cauldron turned you into?" He reaches forward, roughly lowering the gag so I could speak.

I don't respond, not giving him the luxury of knowing.

"I don't like to ask things twice. You wouldn't want me to use violence now would you?" He taps his fingers on the chair he was now sitting in.

"Seraphim," I mutter.

"A Seraphim." He hums, eyes still on me. "How were you Made into a seraphim and not just a normal Fae? You intrigued me even before you were Made, Athy. After all, I've been looking for your kind for quite some time. Maybe you're my key in finding them."

"I've never met another Seraphim. I know nothing of them." I simply answer.

"I don't believe that. From what I hear, you're not an Archeron. Your real parents can be more than you think they are. After all there is someone that is more than you think they are."

My eyes narrow further on him. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm sure you would like to know. To know what everyone is keeping from you." He muses, enjoying the torture he was giving me. I didn't say anything, keeping my face emotionless.

I wanted to know. But not from him.

He stands from his seat, tapping his shoes towards me. He leans down at me, smirking like he was ready to shoot an arrow at me.

"The little shadowsinger is your mate, no? I wonder what would happen if you died here." He brushes my white strand between his fingers. "I'm sure Rhysand would be upset that his mate's sister died, who was also his shadowsinger's mate."

"Wh—what?" My voice cracks trying to comprehend what the king just said.

"Isn't it amazing that you were Made in the Cauldron and give a handsome faerie as your mate? I'm sure all Archeron sisters are just as lucky," he says with a cunning grin.