Chapter Twenty-three

Athanasia

Another week passed since the storm incident. Azriel and Cass spent most of their time on missions so I haven't been able to speak with them much.

Instead, I tried to accustom myself to Rhys' people. One of them being the stunning Amren. It still marvels me that the Fae could be such a beautiful race of people. It's a bit unfair to the other species.

At first, I was startled by Amren's demeanor. She felt more intimidating than any other faerie or being I've ever met.

But from what I could tell, Amren clicked with me quicker than I expected. Her voice might sound dull but she was amused by me.

In a way, Amren reminded me a bit of Nesta but with less ferocity.

The two of us sat at the table in the sitting room of the Town House. A five hundred piece puzzle was displayed in front of me, Amren also across from me.

The jigsaw puzzle was an image of a winding river with a small cabin to the right. The forest around it was different shades of red and orange.

"You're better at these than I thought." Amren voices, still concentrated on the lower outlined border of the puzzle.

"It surprises me too. I've only done a jigsaw puzzle once and it was only fifty pieces." I respond, glancing up at her. "Why do you like these so much?"

"There isn't anything better than a good mystery." She hums, snapping a piece into its rightful spot. "After living for so long, you have to keep yourself entertained in some way. Not knowing something gives you the initiative to discover it."

"So do you only look forward to the end product?" I say, glancing at the full printed image before looking back down.

"The end product always gets dull so the process to make it is always better." She pauses, furrowing her brows. "Only when the process takes too long does it also get dull."

"Does that have to do with the book you're trying to decode?" I peer at her.

"The book is being troublesome but it's nothing more time won't fi..."

Amren was interrupted by a thud coming from the direction of the foyer. She stood from her cushioned chair and walked out the sitting room.

Seeing how quickly she walked out, I followed.

"That they do so at all after Hybern's attack is testament to how hard the people of Velaris have worked to rebuild." I hear Amren say to whoever came back.

I moved through the archway to stand to Amren's side.

Feyre's disheveled body stood before me.

"Feyre?" I took another step towards her.

"Athy." Her voice held regret and worry.

I brought a smile to my face, hoping that it would cheer up her dreadful appearance. Not caring about how she was covered in blood and dirt, I brought her into a hug.

"I'm so glad you're back." I squeezed the back of her head. "I was so worried when you didn't come back with us."

"I know." She also relished the embrace.

"I see you brought home a new pet." Amren interrupts, and that's when I notice that there was another Fae in the room along with Cass and Azriel.

The male was familiar but what gave it away was the metal eye. He was there when I was Made.

Fearly, I step back. Why would Feyre be with someone like him?

Azriel inched to be behind me causing me to lift my head slightly to look at him. His hazel eyes were focused on the visitor. It seems that not even he likes this Fae.