Chapter Thirty-three

Athanasia

Too much happened too quickly. Azriel left to help fight the battle in Summer Court and all I could do was worry.

I know that he has fought in wars and overcome many strong opponents but I'm still frightened for him.

Nesta wasn't any better. She kept pacing and I knew who it was for. If there is anyone who can rile her up but also make her worry it's Cassian. I'm not sure why though.

I've never seen Nesta act like this. It's usually only for Elain and occasionally me.

"Sit down. You sound like a fly buzzing around. I can't tell you about the territories if you keep moving." Amren snaps from the chair before the unlit fireplace of the sitting room. She was irritated by Nesta's shoes tapping on the floor of the foyer. I sat not too far from Amren on a lounge chair, sipping some peach iced tea.

"Here, Nes. Do you want some tea?" I pour a glass of the tea and motion for her to take it.

She just looks at it and shakes her head. Knowing that there was no convincing her, I placed it back down on the coffee table.

I wasn't much better than her. My right leg bounced up and down as I sat. My only distraction was the book I was trying to read but couldn't comprehend the words due to my worry. Amren was telling us about the Courts and Nesta was too distracted to listen much.

After a few more minutes did they appear. Feyre, Rhys and Mor landed in the foyer where Nesta was.

"What happened?" She demands, her pacing stopped. Amren and I shot to our feet, expecting their answer.

I looked behind the two, looking for something—someone. He wasn't there.

Then Rhys says, "There was a battle. We won."

"We know that," Amren replies, her small feet near-silent on the rugs as she strode for us. "What happened with Tarquin?"

Feyre cut in, "Well, he didn't try to slaughter us on sight, so ... things went decently?"

"The royal family remains alive and well. Tarquin's armada suffered losses, but Cresseida and Varian were unscathed." Rhys clarifies the situation.

Amren seems to relax at his words. From what I can tell she has a close relationship with Prince Varian. When I visited her apartment, I asked her to tell me about the different courts. She seemed to linger on Summer Court.

Beside me, Nesta was glancing between all of them, noticing what I noticed earlier. "Where is he?"

"Who?" Rhys croons.

"Cassian."

I peek a glance at her, her face still stern. I'm amazed that she even uttered his name.

Mor sharp voice answers, "He's busy."

The two stared off, building the tension in the small space.

Mor says flatly, "When he gets back, keep your forked tongue behind your teeth." My eyes widen at the harsh statement.

But Rhys says, "Mor."

I help him out by speaking up, "And Az?" I look between them.

"He's with Cass dealing with some business. He'll be back soon." Rhys' voice is gentler as he speaks to me.

He then lifts eyes from me to look back at Mor, authority dripping from his every word. "We now leave for the meeting in three days. Send out dispatches to the other High Lords to inform them. And I'm done debating where to meet. Pick a place and be done with it."